Old 29-01-2015, 11:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Optimum lighting distance

Since I've got a lot of stuff starting to come up , I went ahead and made
some brackets to hang that 2 tube flourescent fixture over my shelf . I have
2 gro-lux 40 watt tubes , and am wondering how high I need to hang the light
.. I'm currently hanging about a foot above the plants , seemed about right
.... but I can go down another few inches or go up to about 2 feet .
--
Snag

Old 30-01-2015, 12:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Terry Coombs wrote:

Since I've got a lot of stuff starting to come up , I went ahead and made
some brackets to hang that 2 tube flourescent fixture over my shelf . I have
2 gro-lux 40 watt tubes , and am wondering how high I need to hang the light
. I'm currently hanging about a foot above the plants , seemed about right
... but I can go down another few inches or go up to about 2 feet .

as close to the plants as possible so they get the max.
rig your setup so it can be raised as needed.

songbird
Old 30-01-2015, 01:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 1/29/2015 5:05 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Since I've got a lot of stuff starting to come up , I went ahead and made
some brackets to hang that 2 tube flourescent fixture over my shelf . I have
2 gro-lux 40 watt tubes , and am wondering how high I need to hang the light
. I'm currently hanging about a foot above the plants , seemed about right
... but I can go down another few inches or go up to about 2 feet .

I started mine at about six inches above the pots and then raised it as
the plants grew. The fixture I had was hung with chains so it was easy
to raise it up or lower it. One year I started plants with the lights
about two inches above the pot, they came up quickly and grew so rapidly
they were spindly.

If you can get a small fan and start blowing air slowly over the plants,
will make the stems much sturdier and the plants will be stronger. I
used the ceiling fan in my office. Was still working as a technical
writer at the time and it was nice to look over and see the plants
growing nicely.
Old 30-01-2015, 01:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

George Shirley wrote:
[...]

The light is suspended over the plants on chains , I can lower or raise
them as needed . The purpose of the light is to supplement the sunlight , as
I think our double glazed panes only admit like
60-something percent of the light . The ceiling fan does stir the plants
some , it's set to blow "up" so the warm air flows down the walls .
Most of the tomatoes have sprouted , I wish the peppers would show some
green ... I planted a couple of pumpkin and a couple of acorn squash as a
germination check , looks like my saved seeds are viable !
--
Snag