Old 13-08-2015, 01:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default what's up

Once upon a time on usenet Steve Peek wrote:

[snipped]

we have lots of preserving going on now. I grew a new (to me) crop
this year called "West Indian Burr Gerkin". They have a tart cucumber
flavor but are supposedly not related to cucumber. They look like
watermelon plants with dozens of little spiky green balls on them.
They don't appear to be susceptible to mildew or cucumber beetles, so
they may become my new pickle plant.

Is this them?
http://www.worldcrops.org/crops/Maxixe.cfm

Because they *are* cucurbits, in the same family as cukes.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Old 13-08-2015, 02:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Wednesday, August 12, 2015 at 8:41:27 PM UTC-4, ~misfit~ wrote:
Once upon a time on usenet Steve Peek wrote:

[snipped]

we have lots of preserving going on now. I grew a new (to me) crop
this year called "West Indian Burr Gerkin". They have a tart cucumber
flavor but are supposedly not related to cucumber. They look like
watermelon plants with dozens of little spiky green balls on them.
They don't appear to be susceptible to mildew or cucumber beetles, so
they may become my new pickle plant.

Is this them?
http://www.worldcrops.org/crops/Maxixe.cfm

Because they *are* cucurbits, in the same family as cukes.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

that's them, same family, different genus. Mine don't seem to be that large without getting inedible seeds. They're very tasty similar to cucumber but more tart.
Old 16-08-2015, 01:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

[...]

I was just making a rhubarb tart last night (lidless pie - much easier than
lidding it and lower pastry to fruit ratio) and my mind wandered, as it
does... I came to the conclusion that I definitely need more tart in my
life.

Old 16-08-2015, 02:13 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 8/15/2015 7:33 PM, ~misfit~ wrote:
[...]

You left the s off tarts. G
Old 16-08-2015, 07:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Once upon a time on usenet George Shirley wrote:
[...]

LOL! Good to see I'm not the only one who thinks like that. I Left the
's' off in case I was.

Old 16-08-2015, 03:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 8/16/2015 1:56 AM, ~misfit~ wrote:
[...]

Nope, there's lots of us out there. My tart chasing ended 57 years ago
but I can still remember those days. G
Old 17-08-2015, 06:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

[...]

Mine ended a while back too but I never married or 'settled down' so I can
still dream.

Old 18-08-2015, 01:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

~misfit~ wrote:
I was just making a rhubarb tart last night (lidless pie - much easier than
lidding it and lower pastry to fruit ratio) and my mind wandered, as it
does... I came to the conclusion that I definitely need more tart in my
life.

we make crumbles (fruit on the bottom topped
by a mix of sugar, oats, whatever else that will
bake ok) and that can also reduce the amount of
sugars/fats while still giving it a bit of crust
on it.

songbird
Old 22-08-2015, 07:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Once upon a time on usenet songbird wrote:
~misfit~ wrote:
I was just making a rhubarb tart last night (lidless pie - much
easier than lidding it and lower pastry to fruit ratio) and my mind
wandered, as it does... I came to the conclusion that I definitely
need more tart in my life.

we make crumbles (fruit on the bottom topped
by a mix of sugar, oats, whatever else that will
bake ok) and that can also reduce the amount of
sugars/fats while still giving it a bit of crust
on it.

Yes, I've made many a crumble in my time. When I was a kid, back in the days
before food processors I used to rub the butter into the flour for Mum.
However I do like a good semi-sweet shortcrust pastry (my secret is to add
lemon juice to the pastry mix, it really picks it up and adds a new
dimension to it).