GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Radishes have flowers? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/214760-radishes-have-flowers.html)

George Shirley[_3_] 04-07-2017 05:26 PM

Radishes have flowers?

On 7/4/2017 10:37 AM, Muggles wrote:
On 7/4/2017 6:38 AM, George Shirley wrote:
On 7/3/2017 10:51 PM, Muggles wrote:
On 7/3/2017 9:52 PM, T wrote:
On 07/02/2017 07:22 PM, George Shirley wrote:
On 7/2/2017 8:19 PM, T wrote:
On 07/02/2017 06:18 PM, Gary Woods wrote:
On Sun, 2 Jul 2017 12:45:05 -0700, T wrote:

Several on my radishes have developed 12 to 18"
stocks with white flowers on the ends.

They are "Bolting," i.e. going to seed, and the roots will have
turned
very hot and tough. The good news is that the immature green seed
pods are delicious stir-fried. There are actually varieties bred for
this use.

---
http://www.avg.com

So, pull them out?
Yup!

I just did. None of them had a radish under them.

So, just some do that and other develop fat roots?

Well, it makes room. It is crowed in there.

I think every radish I ever planted bolted when the weather got warm.

Same here. We had a small garden in Saudi Arabia and we put a black

My in-laws lived there for a couple of years while my father-in-law did
some contract work there.

screen type of cloth over our small garden inside a wall garden. We did
well with that garden, made of desert sand and lots of cow manure and
compost but it was very small. Temps then were often above 100F but the
shade protected the garden.

My raised bed are aligned North/South, so when the one on the far west
gets grown up with bean vines and tomato vines it shades other parts of
the garden from the extreme summer heat. We've thought about putting up
some shade cloth, but haven't quite gotten that far, yet.

I may have to put shade cloth over the raised beds as our temps are
getting higher now.

George

What all are you growing?

Mostly vegetables for the table. Unfortunately we had two back to back
hard freezes in January and half our fig tree froze off, all the blooms
on the pear tree dropped, the kumquat tree lost its blooms but they did
come back a few months later. We may get some kumquat fruit but no figs
or pears to speak of. The raised bed gardens survived but they were
heavily covered with old sheets and plastic. We have gotten very few
tomatoes, lots of sweet peppers, hardly any green beans, etc. We went
from heavy freezing to, now, temps in the mid-nineties. The only thing
that is growing well is the grass, go figure. Madam is playing in the
backyard now and needs to come in out of the sun. The dawg is napping on
the couch in my office and I just got up from a nice nap. When you're in
your late seventies it's okay to take naps. G

George, thinking about lunch and some lemonade

Muggles 04-07-2017 07:55 PM

Radishes have flowers?

On 7/2/2017 8:19 PM, T wrote:
[...]

My fig tree died back to the ground again this past winter, but it came
back again and has some figs on it. I had 2 kumquat potted trees and
they ended up dying.

The raised bed gardens survived but they were
heavily covered with old sheets and plastic. We have gotten very few
tomatoes, lots of sweet peppers, hardly any green beans, etc. We went
from heavy freezing to, now, temps in the mid-nineties. The only thing

This year I didn't plant anything in my raised beds that I set up as a
cold frame that I can cover. Last year, though, I grew radishes and
beets in it over the winter and by spring they were finally making some
edible roots.

that is growing well is the grass, go figure. Madam is playing in the
backyard now and needs to come in out of the sun. The dawg is napping on
the couch in my office and I just got up from a nice nap. When you're in
your late seventies it's okay to take naps. G

I try not to take naps during the day because it, sometimes, affects me
being able to sleep at night. There is the occasional afternoon blood
sugar drop that makes me sleepy and sometimes I'll lay down and sleep
for a little while, then.

George, thinking about lunch and some lemonade

Hope all is going nicely for your 4th of July holiday!

--
Maggie

George Shirley[_3_] 04-07-2017 08:33 PM

Radishes have flowers?

On 7/2/2017 8:19 PM, T wrote:
[...]

We're waiting for the six cops in the neighborhood to start setting off
very loud and large fireworks. Texas law states that fireworks can be
fired off on certain holidays, meaning most holidays. If it is a gated
community the leaders there can ban fireworks. Those of us who have
county streets have to hear all the noise but little color. Our dog has
to wear earmuffs for holidays or it turns her into a screaming dog. I'm
partially deaf from many years of working in loud chemical plants and
hunting and being a gunsmith too. Even if you wear ear protection the
noises still affect you. My wife gets upset when I ask her to speak
louder but that's the only way to hear her. I have hearing aids but I
hate the darned things, make my ears itch and sometimes they get loud.
Ear doc tried to get me to by $3K of hearing aids that are invisible but
I would rather not blow that much money just to hear something that I
don't care about. BG Our mid-fifties daughter is now wearing hearing
aids and she's always been a teacher and principal. I guess taking her
hunting and target practice may have been part of it but she also had
measles as a child so that could be it. Wish it would rain, our water
meter is spinning like crazy.

Had a nice lunch and am still drinking lemonade, trying to get off of
soda too.

George

Muggles 04-07-2017 09:36 PM

Radishes have flowers?

On 7/4/2017 2:33 PM, George Shirley wrote:
On 7/4/2017 1:55 PM, Muggles wrote:
On 7/4/2017 11:26 AM, George Shirley wrote:

George, thinking about lunch and some lemonade

Hope all is going nicely for your 4th of July holiday!

We're waiting for the six cops in the neighborhood to start setting off
very loud and large fireworks. Texas law states that fireworks can be
fired off on certain holidays, meaning most holidays. If it is a gated
community the leaders there can ban fireworks. Those of us who have
county streets have to hear all the noise but little color. Our dog has
to wear earmuffs for holidays or it turns her into a screaming dog.

Our collie can't stand the fireworks noise, either. I have to trick her
into going outside and raise my voice and say, "Oh!! is THAT a
squirrel??" Then she comes running to the door and practically has a
fit getting out the doggie door!

I'm partially deaf from many years of working in loud chemical plants and
hunting and being a gunsmith too. Even if you wear ear protection the
noises still affect you. My wife gets upset when I ask her to speak
louder but that's the only way to hear her. I have hearing aids but I
hate the darned things, make my ears itch and sometimes they get loud.
Ear doc tried to get me to by $3K of hearing aids that are invisible but
I would rather not blow that much money just to hear something that I
don't care about. BG Our mid-fifties daughter is now wearing hearing
aids and she's always been a teacher and principal. I guess taking her
hunting and target practice may have been part of it but she also had
measles as a child so that could be it.

I wear hearing aids, too. Back when I was a teen I had a severe ear
infection in both ears, so bad, both of them swelled closed. It took a
week of seeing the Dr. every day for him to treat it and clean them out
before he saw my ear drums.

Fast forward, a few years ago I had my hearing tested, and the Dr. said
there are some people who lose a little hearing as they get older, but,
don't really need hearing aids, and then there's YOU!

I was told that I have profound to severe hearing loss, and I didn't
know it until she told me. Evidently, since I was a teen when I lost
that portion of my hearing, my brain still knew what words sounded like,
so it would automatically fill in the blanks of words even though I
wasn't actually hearing those sounds. I wear the small aids that others
can't really see unless they look behind my ears and see the tiny
computer attached to the invisible wire/speaker that goes into the ear
canal.

The first day I had the hearing aids, I drove home from the Dr's office
and parked in my driveway, got out, and stopped dead in my tracks. I
could hearing hundreds of birds singing. Previous to that I might have
heard a few singing that were close by, but, this time it was like a
symphony. It was like all of a sudden hearing in high definition.

Even with the aids, I may not catch everything people say, and if there
is background noise (which I'm told is the same level of the tones I
can't distinguish), it's really difficult to understand what people are
saying to me. I can read lips some, but only if I have some sound to go
with it and context.

Wish it would rain, our water
meter is spinning like crazy.

Had a nice lunch and am still drinking lemonade, trying to get off of
soda too.

I just finished making deviled eggs for when the kids come over tonight.
The home made choc chip ice cream is ripened and now in the freezer,
and the bbq chicken and baked beans are done, too. We got everything
done last night, except for the deviled eggs, which I usually make a few
hours before everyone comes over.

--
Maggie

T[_4_] 05-07-2017 07:33 PM

Radishes have flowers?

On 7/2/2017 8:19 PM, T wrote:
On 07/02/2017 06:18 PM, Gary Woods wrote:
On Sun, 2 Jul 2017 12:45:05 -0700, T wrote:

Several on my radishes have developed 12 to 18"
stocks with white flowers on the ends.

They are "Bolting," i.e. going to seed, and the roots will have turned
very hot and tough. The good news is that the immature green seed
pods are delicious stir-fried. There are actually varieties bred for
this use.

---
http://www.avg.com

So, pull them out?
Yup!

I just did. None of them had a radish under them.

So, just some do that and other develop fat roots?

Well, it makes room. It is crowed in there.

In our climate we get about a 50/50 harvest of radishes. Our daily temp
this month is about 90-95 temperatures but we only grow radishes in the
winter. Mostly depends on daily temps, soft soil, etc. We grow our
veggies in above ground beds with a mixture of several types of soil
including compost, composted cow manure helps too.

This year we had two back to back days of 21F in January and this time
of year we get up to 100 degrees heat occasionally. It all depends on
the weather. At our previous home we had deep soil from hundreds of
years of detritus and a few shade trees and our crops were very large
most of the time. This stuff is a little bit of sand on gumbo clay so we
did the raised beds. The beds are in need of being redone so we may have
no garden this fall.

George

Same temp here. So far only about 8 have bolted.

When do you plant?

George Shirley[_3_] 05-07-2017 07:45 PM

Radishes have flowers?

On 7/2/2017 8:19 PM, T wrote:
[...]

Spring planting goes in as early as we can see by upcoming weather.
Mostly it is in late February to mid-March. Fall planting we go by
whatever the weather heads are spouting about, generally whenever we can
see when the first freeze comes, and, sometimes, our weird weather will
drop a very late freeze on us. We're not to far from the Gulf of Mexico
and, if I remember, we're in zone 8b and sometimes it's 9. If you want
weird weather move to SE Texas. G Gonna be about 98F this afternoon,
no wind blowing, a good bit of cloud cover, typical July weather for us.
Weather heads keep saying there may be some rain. Oddly enough, two days
ago we got a very small rain sprinkle out of a clear, sunny sky. It was
either rain or an airliner dumped the head.