Old 02-07-2017, 08:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Radishes have flowers?

Hi All,

Several on my radishes have developed 12 to 18"
stocks with white flowers on the ends. (No they
are not weeds, I matched all their leaves to the
other radishes next to them.)

Do I need to cut them off as I do scapes? Any
words of wisdom?

Many thanks,
-T
Old 03-07-2017, 02:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sun, 2 Jul 2017 12:45:05 -0700, T wrote:

Several on my radishes have developed 12 to 18"
stocks with white flowers on the ends.

They are "Bolting," i.e. going to seed, and the roots will have turned
very hot and tough. The good news is that the immature green seed
pods are delicious stir-fried. There are actually varieties bred for
this use.

---
http://www.avg.com

Old 03-07-2017, 06:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
Hi All,

Several on my radishes have developed 12 to 18"
stocks with white flowers on the ends. (No they
are not weeds, I matched all their leaves to the
other radishes next to them.)

Do I need to cut them off as I do scapes? Any
words of wisdom?

what's wrong with free radish seeds?
gives the bees and other insects something
to feed upon.

let them ripen, harvest and plant again...

also, consider it free organic material.
do you need that space for another crop? if
no, let it ride.

songbird

Old 03-07-2017, 08:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 07/02/2017 10:19 PM, songbird wrote:
T wrote:
Hi All,

Several on my radishes have developed 12 to 18"
stocks with white flowers on the ends. (No they
are not weeds, I matched all their leaves to the
other radishes next to them.)

Do I need to cut them off as I do scapes? Any
words of wisdom?

what's wrong with free radish seeds?
gives the bees and other insects something
to feed upon.

let them ripen, harvest and plant again...

also, consider it free organic material.
do you need that space for another crop? if
no, let it ride.

songbird

Okay, but I want to eat the radishes. Let some seed?
Eat the rest?

Why are they seeding so quick? There is no sign
of a radish under them yet.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
Hi All,

Several on my radishes have developed 12 to 18"
stocks with white flowers on the ends. (No they
are not weeds, I matched all their leaves to the
other radishes next to them.)

Do I need to cut them off as I do scapes? Any
words of wisdom?

what's wrong with free radish seeds?
gives the bees and other insects something
to feed upon.

let them ripen, harvest and plant again...

also, consider it free organic material.
do you need that space for another crop? if
no, let it ride.

songbird

Okay, but I want to eat the radishes. Let some seed?
Eat the rest?

Why are they seeding so quick? There is no sign
of a radish under them yet.

Some radishes never set a good eating root. I usually pull them and
use them for compost. Some folks like the leaves and they can add some
tang to salads. It is easy to recognize the bum ones by feeling just
below the surface while you are harvesting the ones that are setting a
good root.

And some will bolt fast - happens. I have usually found that
temperature-excessive heat - can push some over the edge.

The nice thing is that radish seed is about as cheap as it gets, keeps
viability for years is stored cool and dry and you can have repeated
crops during the season for pennies. We've just planted a 3rd crop
here in NJ.

Basically, I buy radish seed (or most of my seeds, actually) at end of
season and store them. I do keep pepper and tomato seeds from fruits I
grow and at the end of the season, I let these fruits ripen and drop
naturally. I have dozens and dozens of volunteers that come up the
next spring and get pretty terrific results and a few surprises that
way, too.

I've one type of cherry tomato - it is a small globe with a pointy end
and wondrous flavor, that has grown as a volunteer in my garden for
well over a decade. I do keep aside some seed just in case, but
volunteers, root cuttings, accidental crosses can be a real delight
for the gardener if one has time for them.

Old 03-07-2017, 02:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

T wrote:
Okay, but I want to eat the radishes. Let some seed?
Eat the rest?

replant and use a shade cloth, but i suspect
it may just be too hot now for them.

try a few seeds/pods. i recall they are
sorta peppery. i don't grow them here as
we don't eat them, but i do grow the daikon
radishes instead. which i also don't eat,
but i like the sprouts and as a cover crop
and to help bust a root down through the clay.

i have a nice crop of seeds ripening now.

Why are they seeding so quick? There is no sign
of a radish under them yet.

some bolt from the heat. they are more of
a cool weather crop like most plants from that
family.

songbird
Old 04-07-2017, 03:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 07/02/2017 07:22 PM, George Shirley wrote:
On 7/2/2017 8:19 PM, T wrote:
On 07/02/2017 06:18 PM, Gary Woods wrote:
On Sun, 2 Jul 2017 12:45:05 -0700, T wrote:

Several on my radishes have developed 12 to 18"
stocks with white flowers on the ends.

They are "Bolting," i.e. going to seed, and the roots will have turned
very hot and tough. The good news is that the immature green seed
pods are delicious stir-fried. There are actually varieties bred for
this use.

---
http://www.avg.com

So, pull them out?

Yup!

I just did. None of them had a radish under them.

So, just some do that and other develop fat roots?

Well, it makes room. It is crowed in there.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/2/2017 8:19 PM, T wrote:
On 07/02/2017 06:18 PM, Gary Woods wrote:
On Sun, 2 Jul 2017 12:45:05 -0700, T wrote:

Several on my radishes have developed 12 to 18"
stocks with white flowers on the ends.

They are "Bolting," i.e. going to seed, and the roots will have turned
very hot and tough. The good news is that the immature green seed
pods are delicious stir-fried. There are actually varieties bred for
this use.

---
http://www.avg.com

So, pull them out?

Yup!

I just did. None of them had a radish under them.

So, just some do that and other develop fat roots?

Well, it makes room. It is crowed in there.

I think every radish I ever planted bolted when the weather got warm.

--
Maggie

Old 04-07-2017, 07:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/2/2017 8:19 PM, T wrote:
On 07/02/2017 06:18 PM, Gary Woods wrote:
On Sun, 2 Jul 2017 12:45:05 -0700, T wrote:

Several on my radishes have developed 12 to 18"
stocks with white flowers on the ends.

They are "Bolting," i.e. going to seed, and the roots will have turned
very hot and tough. The good news is that the immature green seed
pods are delicious stir-fried. There are actually varieties bred for
this use.

---
http://www.avg.com

So, pull them out?
Yup!

I just did. None of them had a radish under them.

So, just some do that and other develop fat roots?

Well, it makes room. It is crowed in there.

I think every radish I ever planted bolted when the weather got warm.

Hi Maggie,

Maybe I should plant them sooner? Do yours tolerate
a freeze or two in the spring?

-T

This is a lot milder / nicer group that the other one we
usually talk on. :-)
Old 04-07-2017, 12:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/2/2017 8:19 PM, T wrote:
On 07/02/2017 06:18 PM, Gary Woods wrote:
On Sun, 2 Jul 2017 12:45:05 -0700, T wrote:

Several on my radishes have developed 12 to 18"
stocks with white flowers on the ends.

They are "Bolting," i.e. going to seed, and the roots will have turned
very hot and tough. The good news is that the immature green seed
pods are delicious stir-fried. There are actually varieties bred for
this use.

---
http://www.avg.com

So, pull them out?

Yup!

I just did. None of them had a radish under them.

So, just some do that and other develop fat roots?

Well, it makes room. It is crowed in there.

In our climate we get about a 50/50 harvest of radishes. Our daily temp
this month is about 90-95 temperatures but we only grow radishes in the
winter. Mostly depends on daily temps, soft soil, etc. We grow our
veggies in above ground beds with a mixture of several types of soil
including compost, composted cow manure helps too.

This year we had two back to back days of 21F in January and this time
of year we get up to 100 degrees heat occasionally. It all depends on
the weather. At our previous home we had deep soil from hundreds of
years of detritus and a few shade trees and our crops were very large
most of the time. This stuff is a little bit of sand on gumbo clay so we
did the raised beds. The beds are in need of being redone so we may have
no garden this fall.

George
Old 04-07-2017, 12:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/2/2017 8:19 PM, T wrote:
On 07/02/2017 06:18 PM, Gary Woods wrote:
On Sun, 2 Jul 2017 12:45:05 -0700, T wrote:

Several on my radishes have developed 12 to 18"
stocks with white flowers on the ends.

They are "Bolting," i.e. going to seed, and the roots will have turned
very hot and tough. The good news is that the immature green seed
pods are delicious stir-fried. There are actually varieties bred for
this use.

---
http://www.avg.com

So, pull them out?
Yup!

I just did. None of them had a radish under them.

So, just some do that and other develop fat roots?

Well, it makes room. It is crowed in there.

I think every radish I ever planted bolted when the weather got warm.

Same here. We had a small garden in Saudi Arabia and we put a black
screen type of cloth over our small garden inside a wall garden. We did
well with that garden, made of desert sand and lots of cow manure and
compost but it was very small. Temps then were often above 100F but the
shade protected the garden.

I may have to put shade cloth over the raised beds as our temps are
getting higher now.

George
Old 04-07-2017, 04:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/2/2017 8:19 PM, T wrote:
On 07/02/2017 06:18 PM, Gary Woods wrote:
On Sun, 2 Jul 2017 12:45:05 -0700, T wrote:

Several on my radishes have developed 12 to 18"
stocks with white flowers on the ends.

They are "Bolting," i.e. going to seed, and the roots will have
turned
very hot and tough. The good news is that the immature green seed
pods are delicious stir-fried. There are actually varieties bred for
this use.

---
http://www.avg.com

So, pull them out?
Yup!

I just did. None of them had a radish under them.

So, just some do that and other develop fat roots?

Well, it makes room. It is crowed in there.

I think every radish I ever planted bolted when the weather got warm.

Hi Maggie,

Hi T!

Maybe I should plant them sooner? Do yours tolerate
a freeze or two in the spring?

I usually plant them as early as I can and if we have a light freeze I
don't worry about them. I have some raised beds that I put a short pvc
cold frame over it and cover it with clear plastic. If the plastic is
raised for ventilation, I won't lower it if it freezes because it's
usually enough protection to keep the tops from being damaged. Plus,
they really like the cold weather.

-T

This is a lot milder / nicer group that the other one we
usually talk on. :-)

It is! I'm hoping someone has an answer about my Mini Fuchsias!

--
Maggie
Old 04-07-2017, 04:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 7/2/2017 8:19 PM, T wrote:
On 07/02/2017 06:18 PM, Gary Woods wrote:
On Sun, 2 Jul 2017 12:45:05 -0700, T wrote:

Several on my radishes have developed 12 to 18"
stocks with white flowers on the ends.

They are "Bolting," i.e. going to seed, and the roots will have
turned
very hot and tough. The good news is that the immature green seed
pods are delicious stir-fried. There are actually varieties bred for
this use.

---
http://www.avg.com

So, pull them out?
Yup!

I just did. None of them had a radish under them.

So, just some do that and other develop fat roots?

Well, it makes room. It is crowed in there.

I think every radish I ever planted bolted when the weather got warm.

Same here. We had a small garden in Saudi Arabia and we put a black

My in-laws lived there for a couple of years while my father-in-law did
some contract work there.

screen type of cloth over our small garden inside a wall garden. We did
well with that garden, made of desert sand and lots of cow manure and
compost but it was very small. Temps then were often above 100F but the
shade protected the garden.

My raised bed are aligned North/South, so when the one on the far west
gets grown up with bean vines and tomato vines it shades other parts of
the garden from the extreme summer heat. We've thought about putting up
some shade cloth, but haven't quite gotten that far, yet.

I may have to put shade cloth over the raised beds as our temps are
getting higher now.

George

What all are you growing?

--
Maggie

radishes donald girod Lawns 0 14-07-2003 05:46 PM
radishes...storage, seeds.... Simon Stenkle Edible Gardening 1 08-07-2003 04:10 PM
What I've learnt about Radishes Steve Harris United Kingdom 3 27-04-2003 09:56 PM
Radishes Morgan Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:33 AM
Radishes - my Waterloo Polar Edible Gardening 7 25-03-2003 11:20 PM