GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   No blooms on tomato plants (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/217028-no-blooms-tomato-plants.html)

Ralph Mowery 16-06-2020 03:26 PM

No blooms on tomato plants

I live in the middle of NC.

I started several types of tomatoes in the house and transplanted them
to the garden around the middle of April.

The Better Boys and Celeberties are looking good and have green tomatoes
on them around the size of golf balls and larger.

I ordered the seeds from a company and they sent me a package of free
seeds for Orange Oxheart. Never raised them before. The package says
76 days, around the same time as the others I have.

The plants are up to about 3 or 4 feet tall. All 3 of them that I put
out. There is not a single bloom on any of the 3. And of course no
tomatoes either. Has anyone else seen tomato plants grow and not put
out any blooms ? If it was not for the other 10 or so plants of other
varities I may have thought some animal had eaten the blooms.

The plants are in wire cages and have not been pruned or suckered.

Muggles[_8_] 16-06-2020 04:17 PM

No blooms on tomato plants

On 6/16/2020 9:26 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

I live in the middle of NC.

I started several types of tomatoes in the house and transplanted them
to the garden around the middle of April.

The Better Boys and Celeberties are looking good and have green tomatoes
on them around the size of golf balls and larger.

I ordered the seeds from a company and they sent me a package of free
seeds for Orange Oxheart. Never raised them before. The package says
76 days, around the same time as the others I have.

The plants are up to about 3 or 4 feet tall. All 3 of them that I put
out. There is not a single bloom on any of the 3. And of course no
tomatoes either. Has anyone else seen tomato plants grow and not put
out any blooms ? If it was not for the other 10 or so plants of other
varities I may have thought some animal had eaten the blooms.

The plants are in wire cages and have not been pruned or suckered.

They may not be getting enough water and/or phosphorus. High nitrogen
produces good foliage, but too much can prevent flowering, too.

--
Maggie

Ralph Mowery 16-06-2020 06:22 PM

No blooms on tomato plants

In article ,
says...

They may not be getting enough water and/or phosphorus. High nitrogen
produces good foliage, but too much can prevent flowering, too.

They have had plenty of rain on them and I did water them some.

I doubt it is too much nitrogen as I put out some fertilizer and tilled
it up after. All the plants are in an area of roughly 20 by 20 feet.
So they should have about the same amount of chemicals in the soil as
the other tomatoes that are producing fruit like I think they should for
this time of year and when I set them out.

I used the 10/10/10 fertilizer. Not sure if I did or did not put any
lime out. This is a new garden spot from the years past. Where I had
been trying to grow tomatoes had became too shaded due to trees growing
higher after 10 years.

Muggles[_8_] 16-06-2020 06:25 PM

No blooms on tomato plants

On 6/16/2020 12:22 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

They may not be getting enough water and/or phosphorus. High nitrogen
produces good foliage, but too much can prevent flowering, too.

They have had plenty of rain on them and I did water them some.

I doubt it is too much nitrogen as I put out some fertilizer and tilled
it up after. All the plants are in an area of roughly 20 by 20 feet.
So they should have about the same amount of chemicals in the soil as
the other tomatoes that are producing fruit like I think they should for
this time of year and when I set them out.

I used the 10/10/10 fertilizer. Not sure if I did or did not put any
lime out. This is a new garden spot from the years past. Where I had
been trying to grow tomatoes had became too shaded due to trees growing
higher after 10 years.

I'd probably give them a boost of phosphorus and cut down the nitrogen.
See what happens. We've grown tomatoes for years. Some just need a
little more tlc.

--
Maggie

azigni 16-06-2020 09:46 PM

No blooms on tomato plants

On 6/16/20 8:26 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

I live in the middle of NC.

I started several types of tomatoes in the house and transplanted them
to the garden around the middle of April.

The Better Boys and Celeberties are looking good and have green tomatoes
on them around the size of golf balls and larger.

I ordered the seeds from a company and they sent me a package of free
seeds for Orange Oxheart. Never raised them before. The package says
76 days, around the same time as the others I have.

The plants are up to about 3 or 4 feet tall. All 3 of them that I put
out. There is not a single bloom on any of the 3. And of course no
tomatoes either. Has anyone else seen tomato plants grow and not put
out any blooms ? If it was not for the other 10 or so plants of other
varities I may have thought some animal had eaten the blooms.

The plants are in wire cages and have not been pruned or suckered.

If it is just the free seeds, well...They may be gmo, and will sprout
and grow, but nothing else. my opinion only

Ralph Mowery 16-06-2020 10:05 PM

No blooms on tomato plants

In article , says...

If it is just the free seeds, well...They may be gmo, and will sprout
and grow, but nothing else. my opinion only

I have ordered seeds from a company in Florida for about 3 years. Only
about $ 20 worth each year as I only plant about 15 to 20 tomatoes , a
few squarsh and maybe a couple of cucumbers and cantalopes.

Each year I get one or two packs of free random tomato brand seeds,
about 10 in each package. All the others have produced fruit. Maybe
this year I got a batch of the 'Bulls' in the free pack. They sprouted
and are growing just fine, just no blooms or tomatoes on them where the
other varieties have golf ball or so size tomatoes already on them and
plenty of blooms.

I usually put out about 3 or 4 each of Celeberity, Better Boy, Eairly
Girl and a couple of the cherry type plants. Then a couple of what ever
the free seeds are.

Ralph Mowery 16-06-2020 10:05 PM

No blooms on tomato plants

In article ,
says...

I'd probably give them a boost of phosphorus and cut down the nitrogen.
See what happens. We've grown tomatoes for years. Some just need a
little more tlc.

I started researching this problem and found out there are plants called
'Bull Tomatoes' (not to be confused with some that are Bull something
tomatoes that produce fruit) that for some reason just do not produce
any blooms or fruit but do grow well and look good. Maybe I just got
unlucky and the 3 plants are all that kind.

This is the first time I have seen that in the 40 or so years I have
been growing tomatoes.

azigni 16-06-2020 11:56 PM

No blooms on tomato plants

On 6/16/20 3:05 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

I started researching this problem and found out there are plants called
'Bull Tomatoes' (not to be confused with some that are Bull something
tomatoes that produce fruit) that for some reason just do not produce
any blooms or fruit but do grow well and look good. Maybe I just got
unlucky and the 3 plants are all that kind.

This is the first time I have seen that in the 40 or so years I have
been growing tomatoes.

Interesting, thank you for sharing. I have never heard of 'Bull
Tomatoes' either.

Ralph Mowery 17-06-2020 12:57 AM

No blooms on tomato plants

In article , says...

Interesting, thank you for sharing. I have never heard of 'Bull
Tomatoes' either.

That was the first time I had ever seen tomatoes without blooms.

From the quick search I did it seems that most any varity of the
tomatoes can do that. It is just the individual odd plant that is called
the Bull tomato. Sort of a non scientific term.

As mentioned there are many varities of tomatoes called Bull something
or other. They do fine. It is just the rare seed from most any varity
can do that. It really struck me as I had 3 plants of the same kind do
that while several other varities in the same about 20x20 foot space
have tomatoes around golf ball size that were set out at the same time.
The number of days on the package to fruit was about the same within a
day or two.

songbird[_2_] 17-06-2020 05:51 PM

No blooms on tomato plants

Ralph Mowery wrote:
I ordered the seeds from a company and they sent me a package of free
seeds for Orange Oxheart. Never raised them before. The package says
76 days, around the same time as the others I have.

in nosing around i see that they are stated to be
indeterminate plants so they should keep bearing
fruits until the season is over with as long as
disease doesn't take them out first. so, i'd say
let them be and see what happens.

songbird

Ralph Mowery 18-06-2020 08:31 PM

No blooms on tomato plants

In article , says...
..
I ordered the seeds from a company and they sent me a package of free
seeds for Orange Oxheart. Never raised them before. The package says
76 days, around the same time as the others I have.

in nosing around i see that they are stated to be
indeterminate plants so they should keep bearing
fruits until the season is over with as long as
disease doesn't take them out first. so, i'd say
let them be and see what happens.

I am going to let them grow for a while longer. I have a few plants
that I am just starting for late tomatoes and I will probably use the OO
cages for them. It may be too late now, but some tomato plants die off
from something, or they are the simideterminite (my word for some that
produce for a while and then die off). However I just do not seethe OO
varity doing anything as the other varities that say from around 70 to
75 days planted at the same time have golf ball size or large fruit on
them.