Old 12-05-2003, 06:45 AM
Fazza

Default Why are my Beans Dying ?

My beans are all dying

At first I thought they were just falling over, I would heap up the
soil around them to support them but they would still eventually die.

On closer inspection it seems the stems of the beans where they go
into the soil look like they are rotting away. A friend who is an
experienced gardener thinks it might be a fungus in the soil and to
try sulphur to get rid of it.

They were going so well too, just starting to flower.

Cheers,

Everquest - http://www.everquest.com
email gjf_fazza at bigpond dot com
Old 12-05-2003, 07:20 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Fazza said:

My beans are all dying

At first I thought they were just falling over, I would heap up the
soil around them to support them but they would still eventually die.

On closer inspection it seems the stems of the beans where they go
into the soil look like they are rotting away. A friend who is an
experienced gardener thinks it might be a fungus in the soil and to
try sulphur to get rid of it.

Root/stem rot. Hilling up around the plants would only make it worse.

Cut back on fertilizer and hope for drier weather.

See also

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/pp/notes/oldnotes/vg7.htm

--
Pat in Plymouth MI