GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   PH Meters (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/22264-ph-meters.html)

B. Joshua Rosen 13-05-2003 05:20 PM

PH Meters

I just picked up a Rapitest PH meter from Home Depot and I'm suspicious
of it's accuracy. I stuck the probe in to a glass of Coke and got a
reading of 6.25 which is way to high, Coke has is supposed to have a PH
in the neighborhood of 3. DOes anyone have any experience with these
meters?

FDR 13-05-2003 07:32 PM

PH Meters

Where did you hear Coke has a ph of 3? Seems way to acidic to me.

Try sticking it into some vinegar or lemon.

om...

Frank Miles 13-05-2003 08:44 PM

PH Meters

In article ,
B. Joshua Rosen wrote:
I just picked up a Rapitest PH meter from Home Depot and I'm suspicious
of it's accuracy. I stuck the probe in to a glass of Coke and got a
reading of 6.25 which is way to high, Coke has is supposed to have a PH
in the neighborhood of 3. DOes anyone have any experience with these
meters?

IMHE the cheap pH meters are worthless. The even-cheaper test papers
(that indicate by color changes) are far better.

-frank

B. Joshua Rosen 13-05-2003 10:20 PM

PH Meters

On Tue, 13 May 2003 14:37:00 -0400, FDR wrote:

Where did you hear Coke has a ph of 3? Seems way to acidic to me.

I did a web search and found a bunch of different sites, all reporting a
PH of between 2.8 and 3.

B. Joshua Rosen 13-05-2003 10:44 PM

PH Meters

On Tue, 13 May 2003 14:37:00 -0400, FDR wrote:

Where did you hear Coke has a ph of 3? Seems way to acidic to me.

Try sticking it into some vinegar or lemon.

"B. Joshua Rosen" wrote in message
om...
I just picked up a Rapitest PH meter from Home Depot and I'm suspicious
of it's accuracy. I stuck the probe in to a glass of Coke and got a
reading of 6.25 which is way to high, Coke has is supposed to have a PH
in the neighborhood of 3. DOes anyone have any experience with these
meters?

I tried vinegar and orange juice, vinegar was also 6.25 orange juice was
7. The Rapitest meter is a complete fraud.

Repeating Decimal 14-05-2003 01:20 AM

PH Meters

in article , B. Joshua Rosen
at
wrote on 5/13/03 2:41 PM:

On Tue, 13 May 2003 14:37:00 -0400, FDR wrote:

Where did you hear Coke has a ph of 3? Seems way to acidic to me.

Try sticking it into some vinegar or lemon.

"B. Joshua Rosen" wrote in message
om...
I just picked up a Rapitest PH meter from Home Depot and I'm suspicious
of it's accuracy. I stuck the probe in to a glass of Coke and got a
reading of 6.25 which is way to high, Coke has is supposed to have a PH
in the neighborhood of 3. DOes anyone have any experience with these
meters?

I tried vinegar and orange juice, vinegar was also 6.25 orange juice was
7. The Rapitest meter is a complete fraud.

You really should use a buffer solution of known pH. I noticed them for sale
at a hydroponic supply store.

Another problem is that the electrode may not be conditioned properly. I
leave my pH meter sit immersed in a buffer solution when not in use. Even
so, it needs to be calibrated often.

Bill

Anne Middleton/Harold Walker 14-05-2003 01:20 PM

PH Meters

Why not try litmus paper......much lower cost and the "accuracy" is quite
adequate for gardening purposes....some might not agree but.......I have
used for over 50 years with very accaptable results........Harold W.

Tater 14-05-2003 03:20 PM

PH Meters

You can take a sample of your soil to your agricultural department, ours
doesn't charge to test the soil and they are very accurate.