GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Q. Storing corn on the cob. ???? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/30509-q-storing-corn-cob.html)

TOM KAN PA 04-06-2003 09:20 PM

Q. Storing corn on the cob. ????

OK, I know you should pick it imediately before eating. But some of can't, as
"it takes an acre to grow an ear of corn."
So, if I buy, say, six ears at the super market, and we eat three, should I
store the remaining ears in the fridge husked or unhusked?

Pat Meadows 05-06-2003 01:44 AM

Q. Storing corn on the cob. ????

On 04 Jun 2003 20:14:37 GMT, c (TOM KAN PA)
wrote:

OK, I know you should pick it imediately before eating. But some of can't, as
"it takes an acre to grow an ear of corn."
So, if I buy, say, six ears at the super market, and we eat three, should I
store the remaining ears in the fridge husked or unhusked?

In the fridge, unhusked.

Pat

Vlad II 05-06-2003 02:44 AM

Q. Storing corn on the cob. ????

Cook it all ASAP. If you want to store, cut the kernels off the cob and
freeze.

Matt

Pat Kiewicz 05-06-2003 10:44 AM

Q. Storing corn on the cob. ????

TOM KAN PA said:

OK, I know you should pick it imediately before eating. But some of can't, as
"it takes an acre to grow an ear of corn."
So, if I buy, say, six ears at the super market, and we eat three, should I
store the remaining ears in the fridge husked or unhusked?

In the husk, loosely wrapped. (In the husk is absolutely essential for roasting
corn.)

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

TOM KAN PA 05-06-2003 01:20 PM

Q. Storing corn on the cob. ????

Subject: Q. Storing corn on the cob. ????
From: (Pat Kiewicz)
In the husk, loosely wrapped. (In the husk is absolutely essential for
roasting corn.)
____Reply Separator_____
Loosely wrapped in plastic wrap/bag? In a paper towel?
I know you can keep celery crisp by wrapping it in foil. And lettuce from
rusting by wrapping it in a damp terry cloth towel.

matfox 05-06-2003 01:44 PM

Q. Storing corn on the cob. ????

"it takes an acre to grow an ear of corn."
where you hear this lie it only takes 4ft *4ft square with 64 plants to
grow good corn.

Frogleg 05-06-2003 02:32 PM

Q. Storing corn on the cob. ????

On Thu, 05 Jun 2003 01:33:08 GMT, "Vlad II" wrote:

Cook it all ASAP. If you want to store, cut the kernels off the cob and
freeze.

I agree. Corn just doesn't keep very well. Buy what you need (and try
to find the freshest source). I'm seeing "fresh" corn on the cob in
supermarkets now, but they must be very well-traveled specimens. Local
stuff won't be ready for a month or 2.

Pat Meadows 05-06-2003 02:56 PM

Q. Storing corn on the cob. ????

On Thu, 05 Jun 2003 13:21:43 GMT,
(Frogleg) wrote:

On Thu, 05 Jun 2003 01:33:08 GMT, "Vlad II" wrote:

Cook it all ASAP. If you want to store, cut the kernels off the cob and
freeze.

I agree. Corn just doesn't keep very well. Buy what you need (and try
to find the freshest source). I'm seeing "fresh" corn on the cob in
supermarkets now, but they must be very well-traveled specimens. Local
stuff won't be ready for a month or 2.

Nevertheless, I've kept corn in the fridge (unhusked) for
1-2 days after purchasing it, and it was quite good. I
think the newer, sweeter varieties keep in storage better.

Pat

TOM KAN PA 05-06-2003 07:32 PM

Q. Storing corn on the cob. ????

Pat Kiewicz 06-06-2003 11:20 AM

Q. Storing corn on the cob. ????

From: (Pat Kiewicz)
In the husk, loosely wrapped. (In the husk is absolutely essential for
roasting corn.)

Loosely wrapped in plastic wrap/bag? In a paper towel?

Loosely wrapped in a plastic bag. Or wrapped in dampish newspaper.

When I was a kid, we used to buy a big box of Jersey sweet corn on the way back
home from Grandma's, and put blocks of ice on it.

Then AS SOON AS WE GOT HOME, the corn was shucked, blanched, chilled,
and frozen -- except for a few ears which we ate that evening.

For some reason, I HATE frozen sweet corn. Only like fresh.

The new varieties of sweet corn that are being grown these days are hold their
sweetness much better. Not as tender as sweet corn ought to be, though, but
a big improvement on frozen corn.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Dave Allyn 06-06-2003 06:56 PM

Q. Storing corn on the cob. ????

Cook it all ASAP. If you want to store, cut the kernels off the cob and
freeze.

I agree. Corn just doesn't keep very well. Buy what you need (and try
to find the freshest source). I'm seeing "fresh" corn on the cob in
supermarkets now, but they must be very well-traveled specimens. Local
stuff won't be ready for a month or 2.

Nevertheless, I've kept corn in the fridge (unhusked) for
1-2 days after purchasing it, and it was quite good. I
think the newer, sweeter varieties keep in storage better.

It probably has alot to do with how long it has sat at the supermarket
as well... not to mention all the other stops it makes between the
field and the store....

email: daveallyn at bwsys dot net
please respond in this NG so others
can share your wisdom as well!