Old 04-06-2003, 09:20 PM
TOM KAN PA

Default Q. Storing corn on the cob. ????

OK, I know you should pick it imediately before eating. But some of can't, as
"it takes an acre to grow an ear of corn."
So, if I buy, say, six ears at the super market, and we eat three, should I
store the remaining ears in the fridge husked or unhusked?

Old 05-06-2003, 02:44 AM
Vlad II

Cook it all ASAP. If you want to store, cut the kernels off the cob and
freeze.

Matt

Old 05-06-2003, 10:44 AM
Pat Kiewicz

TOM KAN PA said:

OK, I know you should pick it imediately before eating. But some of can't, as
"it takes an acre to grow an ear of corn."
So, if I buy, say, six ears at the super market, and we eat three, should I
store the remaining ears in the fridge husked or unhusked?

In the husk, loosely wrapped. (In the husk is absolutely essential for roasting
corn.)

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 05-06-2003, 01:44 PM
matfox

"it takes an acre to grow an ear of corn."
where you hear this lie it only takes 4ft *4ft square with 64 plants to
grow good corn.

Old 05-06-2003, 02:32 PM
Frogleg

On Thu, 05 Jun 2003 01:33:08 GMT, "Vlad II" wrote:

Cook it all ASAP. If you want to store, cut the kernels off the cob and
freeze.

I agree. Corn just doesn't keep very well. Buy what you need (and try
to find the freshest source). I'm seeing "fresh" corn on the cob in
supermarkets now, but they must be very well-traveled specimens. Local
stuff won't be ready for a month or 2.
Old 06-06-2003, 06:56 PM
Dave Allyn

Cook it all ASAP. If you want to store, cut the kernels off the cob and
freeze.

I agree. Corn just doesn't keep very well. Buy what you need (and try
to find the freshest source). I'm seeing "fresh" corn on the cob in
supermarkets now, but they must be very well-traveled specimens. Local
stuff won't be ready for a month or 2.

Nevertheless, I've kept corn in the fridge (unhusked) for
1-2 days after purchasing it, and it was quite good. I
think the newer, sweeter varieties keep in storage better.

It probably has alot to do with how long it has sat at the supermarket
as well... not to mention all the other stops it makes between the
field and the store....

email: daveallyn at bwsys dot net
please respond in this NG so others
can share your wisdom as well!