GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Flowers I can eat??? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/30553-flowers-i-can-eat.html)

COcon28932 05-06-2003 02:56 AM

Flowers I can eat???

This is a strange question. I am going to get Marigold seeds, and want to know
how do I find out which flowers are good to eat, and what I should stay away
from!

Trevise 05-06-2003 03:08 AM

Flowers I can eat???

"COcon28932" wrote in message
This is a strange question. I am going to get Marigold seeds, and want to

know
how do I find out which flowers are good to eat, and what I should stay

away
from!

Well, nasturtiums are good for salads...

Ross Reid 05-06-2003 05:08 AM

Flowers I can eat???

(COcon28932) wrote:

This is a strange question. I am going to get Marigold seeds, and want to know
how do I find out which flowers are good to eat, and what I should stay away
from!

Here's three flowers that you can definitely rely on to be good (and
safe) to eat:
Broccoli, cauliflower and globe artichokes.

Ross.

Angela Dougherty 05-06-2003 05:44 AM

Flowers I can eat???

In article ,
(COcon28932) wrote:

This is a strange question. I am going to get Marigold seeds, and want to know
how do I find out which flowers are good to eat, and what I should stay away
from!

Well for starters, any flower from a culinary herb is edible. Chive
blossoms especially are tasty and beautiful in a salad. Just break the
individual florets from the stem. Nasturtiums, violets (including
pansies), roses, scented geraniums (pelargonium), calendula and lavender
are also edible. In general, if the rest of the plant is edible, the
flowers will be too. The main thing to concern yourself with is that
any flower you plan on eating (or serving unsuspecting guests) should be
completely free of any kind of spray or pesticide.

Check your local library or bookstore for cookbooks featuring herbs
and/or edible flowers. Enjoy!

Angela

David Hare-Scott 05-06-2003 06:32 AM

Flowers I can eat???

"COcon28932" wrote in message
This is a strange question. I am going to get Marigold seeds, and want

to know
how do I find out which flowers are good to eat, and what I should

stay away
from!

The flowers of Pot Marigold (Calendula officinalis) are edible. There
are a number of books all about edible flowers that will list many more
including some that are common blooms but not commonly eaten, eg roses,
zuccini. A Google on "edible flowers" will hit many sources including
recipes. Why is it a strange question?

David

Tim Tyler 05-06-2003 09:44 AM

Flowers I can eat???

COcon28932 wrote:

: This is a strange question. I am going to get Marigold seeds, and want
: to know how do I find out which flowers are good to eat, and what I
: should stay away from!

A Basic Guide to Edible Flowers
http://www.state.oh.us/agr/ohioaginf...bleflowers.htm

Edible Flower and Herb Recipes
http://www.sagekitchen.com/in_flowers.htm
--
__________

Tim Tyler 05-06-2003 09:44 AM

Flowers I can eat???

COcon28932 wrote:

: This is a strange question. I am going to get Marigold seeds, and want
: to know how do I find out which flowers are good to eat, and what I
: should stay away from!

Note that "african marigold" is on the "poisonous - should be
avoided" list - at:

http://food4.epicurious.com/HyperNew...2/1/1/2/3.html
--
__________

Genevieve Tharp 05-06-2003 12:08 PM

Flowers I can eat???

I can add pansies to the list of edible flowers.

Genevieve

Right Star 05-06-2003 01:56 PM

Flowers I can eat???

Also redbud flowers are delicious and if you add violet petals make a beautiful
spring salad!

Frogleg 05-06-2003 02:56 PM

Flowers I can eat???

On 05 Jun 2003 01:48:42 GMT, (COcon28932) wrote:

I am going to get Marigold seeds, and want to know
how do I find out which flowers are good to eat, and what I should stay away
from!

As others have said, do a search on "edible flowers" and/or look in
your library for a book or 2. Keep in mind that nearly all uses are
decorative, and not particulaly nutritious or extra tasty. Rose
petals, violets, pansies, and others may be 'candied' for desert
presentation. Otherwise, they're mostly just fun and colorful.

Christopher Hamel 05-06-2003 04:20 PM

Flowers I can eat???

(COcon28932) wrote in message ...
This is a strange question. I am going to get Marigold seeds, and want to know
how do I find out which flowers are good to eat, and what I should stay away
from!

I realize you have a zillion responses already, but to add a common
and a not-so-common:

1) I am growing squash, and the blooms are giantic. My father tells
me they are very good to eat. I haven't tried it, but he's usually
right about these things. Then again, maybe he's trying to kill me.

2) On two occasions, people have told me that the entire Dandilion
plant is edible. One warning: One was a French lady I worked with in
Germany who was a little on the nutty side, and the second was a
neighbor across the street when I lived in Pennsylvania who was an
extreme nature person. I'm not saying they're not right, but I
haven't been bold enough to try it myself. I've had the greens in a
salad before. They weren't bad, but I kept wondering if some dog peed
on them before they ended up in my salad.

Pat Meadows 05-06-2003 06:08 PM

Flowers I can eat???

On 5 Jun 2003 08:19:19 -0700,
(Christopher Hamel) wrote:

1) I am growing squash, and the blooms are giantic. My father tells
me they are very good to eat. I haven't tried it, but he's usually
right about these things. Then again, maybe he's trying to kill me.

They are edible. I believe people batter and deep-fry them
- and I'm sure they'd be good that way. Anything is good
that way! :)

Pat

Minteeleaf 05-06-2003 06:20 PM

Flowers I can eat???

Christopher Hamel wrote:

(COcon28932) wrote in message
This is a strange question. I am going to get Marigold seeds, and want to know
how do I find out which flowers are good to eat, and what I should stay away
from!

I realize you have a zillion responses already, but to add a common
and a not-so-common:

1) I am growing squash, and the blooms are giantic. My father tells
me they are very good to eat. I haven't tried it, but he's usually
right about these things. Then again, maybe he's trying to kill me.

2) On two occasions, people have told me that the entire Dandilion
plant is edible.

Squash blossoms are indeed edible & taste lovely.
When eating dandelions, just eat the youngest tender leaves.
I grew up eating young dandelion greens.

Minteeleaf

Rachel 06-06-2003 01:56 AM

Flowers I can eat???

"Pat Meadows" wrote in message
On 5 Jun 2003 08:19:19 -0700,
(Christopher Hamel) wrote:

1) I am growing squash, and the blooms are giantic. My father tells
me they are very good to eat. I haven't tried it, but he's usually
right about these things. Then again, maybe he's trying to kill me.

They are edible. I believe people batter and deep-fry them
- and I'm sure they'd be good that way.

Yes! Marcella Hazan ("Classic Italian Cooking", etc.) advises: Put 1 cup of
water in a soup plate and gradually add 2/3 cup all-purpose flower through a
sieve, beating until smooth like sour cream. Heat vegetable oil in a skillet
3/4 inch deep [use a wok - less oil]. When oil is very hot, dip thin
zucchini slices as well as blossoms in the batter and slip them into the
oil. Don't crowd. Remove and drain on paper towels, after frying on both
sides until a golden crust has formed.... Out of this world! Except be
careful - once we did this and there was still a yellow jacket inside one of
the blossoms.