Old 08-06-2003, 02:56 PM
DigitalVinyl

Default hairy mold on oregano?

I've got a cluster of oregano in a container. After another 1"+ of
rain (we are already 1.5" over average for June after wet May), I
spotted white hairy growth along a patch of dirt under the oregano. A
branch of the oregano was decayed there. The oregano is a dense low
tangle in the center. .I think too many seedlings mixed in with the
center tangle.

I now see that much of the oregano has fine hair on it, which I
thought was normal for it. Does oregano have hairy stems?

But some stems are bare, others look more like the hairy "mold". It
isn't dense hairy, very fine and distinctly separated hairs, almost
look like they have a round/thicker tip when they are bigger.

I'm not sure if I could trim away all the molded pieces. Some brown
rot has show up on leaves in the undergrowth. I'm guessing fungicide
time again?

I'll take it inside tonight since it is supposed to rain again.

Yeah, the sun just poked out....no wait its gone.

DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)
Old 08-06-2003, 04:20 PM
Brian Watson

"DigitalVinyl" wrote in message
I've got a cluster of oregano in a container. After another 1"+ of
rain (we are already 1.5" over average for June after wet May), I
spotted white hairy growth along a patch of dirt under the oregano. A
branch of the oregano was decayed there. The oregano is a dense low
tangle in the center. .I think too many seedlings mixed in with the
center tangle.

I now see that much of the oregano has fine hair on it, which I
thought was normal for it. Does oregano have hairy stems?

But some stems are bare, others look more like the hairy "mold". It
isn't dense hairy, very fine and distinctly separated hairs, almost
look like they have a round/thicker tip when they are bigger.

My guess; mucor mucedo (pinhead mould), much beloved of biology teachers the
world over.

Get rid of anything it is infesting and let the soil dry out. That way you
*might* save the oregano.

Alternatively, more as much as you can of the oregano (with roots, making
sure you don't transfer ANY mould, and see if the good stuff recovers.

Either way, bin the mouldy stuff.

--
Brian
"Stuck down a hole, in the fog, in the middle of the night, with an owl."

Mint/Oregano and Mold Friar Donk Edible Gardening 2 09-05-2007 01:47 PM
Hairy Grubs on Herbs Kev Australia 3 14-07-2006 03:03 PM
Grow tomatoes with hairy vetch Vivie veg Edible Gardening 2 24-09-2004 04:22 PM
hairy dwarf Nina Baltes Orchids 12 09-07-2003 01:44 PM
Hairy plant creeping on lawn david Gardening 6 07-05-2003 05:08 AM