Old 10-06-2003, 01:56 PM
harold steig

Default Raised bed hoop house question

I plan to put in a hoop house for raised beds.
Should I keep the beds away from the plastic on the walls to keep the soil
warmer?
What if I insulated the outside of the raised beds and then mounted the hoop
house to the upper edge of bed ? This I think would allow the plastic to
stay away from the snow in the winter.
We live in west central Wisconsin so we do get snow that could be hard on
plastic. Thanks for any suggestions you may have.
Harold

Old 11-06-2003, 12:20 AM
simy1

"harold steig" wrote in message ...
I plan to put in a hoop house for raised beds.
Should I keep the beds away from the plastic on the walls to keep the soil
warmer?

It does not matter.

What if I insulated the outside of the raised beds and then mounted the hoop
house to the upper edge of bed ? This I think would allow the plastic to
stay away from the snow in the winter.
We live in west central Wisconsin so we do get snow that could be hard on
plastic. Thanks for any suggestions you may have.
Harold

The plastic is incredibly resistant to the snow load. I now use 6 mil,
but even with 2 mils and one foot of snow in one day in 1999 there
were no breaks. I switched to 6 mils because I often broke the plastic
by pulling on it while it was weighed down by snow. I have tried both
hoops inside the edges and outside the edges. Outside the edges keeps
the beds bone dry in the winter, but it is also more robust because
the snow weighs on the plastic sheet and keeps it down.
It is good to have a hoop house. It gives about one month of extra
harvest in december and one in april. I am in Michigan.

Hoop green house covering Val Gardening 1 15-06-2008 04:26 PM
Drainage question for raised bed next to house [email protected] Gardening 8 02-03-2007 05:01 PM
Hoop house Ben Lurkin Edible Gardening 4 10-10-2006 04:23 AM
Hoop House joy2wrld Ponds 2 07-09-2005 05:36 PM
Raised beds for hoop house question harold steig Edible Gardening 3 14-06-2003 06:56 PM