GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   String beans climbing too high (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/31583-string-beans-climbing-too-high.html)

[email protected] 12-06-2003 08:56 AM

String beans climbing too high

My string beans are climbing so high, they are above
the netting strung against 6' wall, and waving their tendrils
desperately in the air.

Will it upset them if I nip off the too-high portions?

TIA

--

Persephone

Pat Kiewicz 12-06-2003 10:44 AM

said:

My string beans are climbing so high, they are above
the netting strung against 6' wall, and waving their tendrils
desperately in the air.

Will it upset them if I nip off the too-high portions?

I generally find that when they don't have anything to twine around they
end up flopping back down into reachable territory (all twisted around
each other). They also end up sending out new flowers down at the bottom
again even without being snipped off at the top. So, I've never found it
neccessary to make an experiment of how they'd react if I nipped them off.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Pat Meadows 12-06-2003 10:44 AM

String beans climbing too high

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 07:46:48 GMT,
wrote:

My string beans are climbing so high, they are above
the netting strung against 6' wall, and waving their tendrils
desperately in the air.

Will it upset them if I nip off the too-high portions?

They may be upset, but it's important to teach them who's in
charge! You're the boss....just explain to them that it's
for their own good. g

I think it would be OK. It would likely make them bushier
lower down, which is desirable.

Pat

Patskywriter 12-06-2003 03:56 PM

String beans climbing too high

to disco music

wave your tendrils in the air -- wave 'em like you just don't care!

pat :)

FarmerDill 12-06-2003 05:56 PM

String beans climbing too high

My string beans are climbing so high, they are above
the netting strung against 6' wall, and waving their tendrils
desperately in the air.

Will it upset them if I nip off the too-high portions?

Yes, but probably not fatally. On the other hand if you leave them alone they
will cascade back down, Many times the cascading vine will give a better crop
than the ones going up.

[email protected] 12-06-2003 07:32 PM

String beans climbing too high

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 07:46:48 GMT, wrote:

My string beans are climbing so high, they are above
the netting strung against 6' wall, and waving their tendrils
desperately in the air.

Will it upset them if I nip off the too-high portions?

TIA

Thanks to all for helpful responses. The concensus
seems to be that if they can't go higher, they will turn around and go
lower. While this is no doubt pragmatically true, one wonders
how a plant that is programmed to be negatively geotropic (or
positively phototropic?) can flourish in a positively geotropic
direction. (See how smart I am :)

Well, theorizing aside, I will refrain from future pinching and
let the vines do their thing.

--

Persephone

Christopher Hamel 12-06-2003 09:32 PM

wrote in message . ..
My string beans are climbing so high, they are above
the netting strung against 6' wall, and waving their tendrils
desperately in the air.

Will it upset them if I nip off the too-high portions?

TIA

I was wondering the same thing, only I was pretty much forced to cut
them because they were wandering into my neighbor's yard.

This was two weeks ago, and they are back in the neighbor's yard, so
for what it's worth, it doesn't appear to have stunted their growth.
I guess the neighbors get free beans this year.

Fast-growing buggars, aren't they?

Larry Blanchard 13-06-2003 06:20 PM

String beans climbing too high

In article ,
says...
wrote in message . ..
My string beans are climbing so high, they are above
the netting strung against 6' wall, and waving their tendrils
desperately in the air.

Will it upset them if I nip off the too-high portions?

I remember reading somewhere, maybe Sq Ft Gardening, that if you clip
them at the top, they will start a new shoot somewhere lower down and
begin the bloom cycle all over on that new shoot.

Last year I let mine dangle - this year I'll clip them off. Will report
this fall.

--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

Noydb 14-06-2003 07:08 PM

wrote:

My string beans are climbing so high, they are above
the netting strung against 6' wall, and waving their tendrils
desperately in the air.

Will it upset them if I nip off the too-high portions?

TIA

--

Persephone

I have a 10' tall trellis of fencing mounted on 2x4's with a 2x4 across the
top. Last year the beans just went as high as they could and then layered
themselves across the top 2x4. When I went up to pick them, I had a 12"
layer of beans. ;-)

This year, bush beans. :-)

Bill