Old 15-06-2003, 06:08 PM

Default Warning. Tomato Cages

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 16:46:42 GMT, Dave Adams wrote:

Fellow Gardeners,

This jerk has changed his followups so your responses won't be seen here
but only in austin.gardening

After my own disappointments with the flimsy wire cages available for
holding up tomatoes,I decided to make my own. Here is what I've come
up with. They are made of 1/4" round rod and welded on the ends. I've
taken cable clamps and welded the U-shaped threaded ends to the hoops, so
that they can be disassembled for shipping and storage. They assemble
easily in about a minute with with a 7/16" wrench, socket, or even pliers.
They are four ft. tall, but I will also be making them 5 ft. with the
option of 4 hoops. They are finished with penetrol for rust-resistance.
These cages are heavy duty. What do you think?(Any response is more than
appreciated)

I make my own out of split bamboo. They don't last forever but they are
pretty to look at.
Old 25-06-2003, 10:44 PM
JohnDKestell

Hi,
I am engaged to a florist, so i'm all about those green painted funeral stands
that are about 3' tall. they don't last forever, but are free. I just use the
ones that are too ugly for a proper funeral, and sort of tie up the tomatoes
(and peppers, and bush cukes,....) with some hemp twine as they grow.

but building some serious heavy duty ones sounds good to me. my ones from
Walmart a couple years ago didn't even last the season, got the hell bent out
of them when trying to sink them in the soil, and cost a fortune to boot.
later
john

Tomato cages ( was Best place to buy tomato plants, etc.) Karen Texas 7 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
Tomato cages Karen Texas 12 18-03-2003 02:56 AM
Tomato cages ( was Best place to buy tomato plants, etc.) Karen Texas 7 11-03-2003 02:09 PM
Tomato cages or stakes? Wayfarer Texas 0 09-03-2003 01:39 AM
Tomato Cages Online? Phaedrine Stonebridge Edible Gardening 23 07-02-2003 06:52 PM