Old 29-06-2003, 01:32 AM
SpiceScoot

Default Spreading asparagus yields

I overplanted on asparagus. As the three long rows have matured and become
more productive my family and I have become dangerously close to being burnt
out on what was once our favorite veggie. Year after next another row will
come into full production. I mulch the beds heavily for the winter and then
rake it off to let the soil warm in the spring. If I left the mulch on a row
would that spread the production out very much. I know it would come in
later. Much later or just a few days? LRK
Old 03-07-2003, 01:56 AM
Noydb

SpiceScoot wrote:

I overplanted on asparagus. As the three long rows have matured and
become more productive my family and I have become dangerously close to
being burnt
out on what was once our favorite veggie. Year after next another row
will
come into full production. I mulch the beds heavily for the winter and
then
rake it off to let the soil warm in the spring. If I left the mulch on a
row
would that spread the production out very much. I know it would come in
later. Much later or just a few days? LRK

There are a lot of factors that come into play here. A major one that the
mulch will keep the soil cold longer. How much longer? How much mulch?

Another factor to consider is that having the mulch layer to work through
could result in some very nice blanching of the shoots. I would consider it
certainly worth a try.

Bill