GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Tomatoes skins splitting (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/37901-tomatoes-skins-splitting.html)

AussieResc 22-07-2003 12:02 PM

Tomatoes skins splitting

I had the problem of many of my tomatoes splitting their skins last year. I
would like to avoid this happening again. Was I watering too much or too
little that caused this to happen?
Pat
A HREF="http://members.aol.com/aussieresc"Aussies in Shelters/A
A HREF="http://members.aol.com/paltm81324"Dakota's Rescue Page/A

DigitalVinyl 22-07-2003 02:03 PM

Tomatoes skins splitting

ojunk (AussieResc) wrote:

I had the problem of many of my tomatoes splitting their skins last year. I
would like to avoid this happening again. Was I watering too much or too
little that caused this to happen?
Pat

I had this starting on one or two tomatoes then it went away. From
research it said
Overwatering...especially when uneven (lots then none)
Too little leaves and high heat (tomatoes expand in sun)
Overfertilization causing too rapid growth

I think mine was overwatering. The trick seems to be getting enough
water to deep soak and then back off till the ground really needs it.
I added vermiculite and water-retention crystals to the dirt to help
even out the moisture over time. Despite overwatering and a muddy
May/June I only had those two fruit crack.

Here an agricultural article on the subject.
http://www.agrisupportonline.com/Art...n_tomatoes.htm

A HREF="http://members.aol.com/aussieresc"Aussies in Shelters/A
A HREF="http://members.aol.com/paltm81324"Dakota's Rescue Page/A

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
1st Year Gardener

Penny Morgan 22-07-2003 06:42 PM

Tomatoes skins splitting

Just keep your watering consistent. When tomatoes get an overabundance of
water, their skins will split open.

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina

M. Tiefert 23-07-2003 01:42 AM

Tomatoes skins splitting

In article , "Penny Morgan" wrote:
Just keep your watering consistent. When tomatoes get an overabundance of
water, their skins will split open.

They'll even split after you pick them - if you wash them and aren't
going to slice them immediately, then dry them with a clean towel
before they slurp up the water left on them and split.

cheers,

Marj

* * *
Marj Tiefert: http://www.mindspring.com/~mtiefert/
Mediterranean Garden Shop: http://stores.tiefert.com/garden/
In Sunset zone 14-mild

len 23-07-2003 09:32 PM

Tomatoes skins splitting

"AussieResc" wrote in message
I had the problem of many of my tomatoes splitting their skins last year.

would like to avoid this happening again. Was I watering too much or too
little that caused this to happen?
Pat

Too long between watering. A thirsty plant, will have sudden spurt of
growth, the skin of the fruit will not stretch fast enough, and will split.
Len