GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   How do I get pear tree to fruit? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/39246-how-do-i-get-pear-tree-fruit.html)

Guppy21014 04-08-2003 04:12 AM

How do I get pear tree to fruit?

I bought this tree about 4 years ago. It has had great growth but never
fruited. any suggestions

zxcvbob 04-08-2003 04:42 AM

Guppy21014 wrote:
I bought this tree about 4 years ago. It has had great growth but never
fruited. any suggestions

Standard pears take a *long* time to bloom. You can help by bending the
branches down so they make a 45 to 90 degree angle to the trunk. (I wish I
knew that when I had pear trees in Texas; mine looked like poplar trees,
the branches all grew straight up.)

Best regards,
Bob

Frankhartx 04-08-2003 09:43 AM

How do I get pear tree to fruit?

From: (Guppy21014)

I bought this tree about 4 years ago. It has had great growth but never
fruited. any suggestions

Has it flowered? If so maybe it needs to be pollinated by another pear tree.

V_coerulea 05-08-2003 04:17 AM

How do I get pear tree to fruit?

All pears need a pollinator. Consult your extension agent for the best
variety available to pollinate the variety you have.
Gary

zxcvbob 05-08-2003 04:17 AM

V_coerulea wrote:

All pears need a pollinator. Consult your extension agent for the best
variety available to pollinate the variety you have.
Gary

"Orient" and "Kieffer" are self-pollinating, and maybe a few others. It's
still a good idea; I just had to argue with the word "all" ;-)

Guppy never told us if the trees were blooming yet.

Bob

Guppy21014 06-08-2003 03:42 AM

How do I get pear tree to fruit?

The tree has not bloomed yet. I don't know what variety it is.

Ben Sharvy 06-08-2003 06:32 AM

How do I get pear tree to fruit?

Pears take 6-8 years to begin bearing fruit
(http://www.efn.org/~bsharvy/edible7.html#PearEuropean). Generally, if
you need to add a year each time you transplant a tree.

Pears generally need a pollinator; a late-blooming Asian pear will
work (unless you have a late-blooming European). Also, bees are not
very fond of pears, so it helps to put them close together, and not in
the vicinity of anything more appealing to bees.