Old 04-08-2003, 04:12 AM
Guppy21014

Default How do I get pear tree to fruit?

I bought this tree about 4 years ago. It has had great growth but never
fruited. any suggestions

Old 04-08-2003, 04:42 AM
zxcvbob

Guppy21014 wrote:
I bought this tree about 4 years ago. It has had great growth but never
fruited. any suggestions

Standard pears take a *long* time to bloom. You can help by bending the
branches down so they make a 45 to 90 degree angle to the trunk. (I wish I
knew that when I had pear trees in Texas; mine looked like poplar trees,
the branches all grew straight up.)

Best regards,
Bob

Old 05-08-2003, 04:17 AM
V_coerulea

All pears need a pollinator. Consult your extension agent for the best
variety available to pollinate the variety you have.
Gary

Old 05-08-2003, 04:17 AM
zxcvbob

V_coerulea wrote:

All pears need a pollinator. Consult your extension agent for the best
variety available to pollinate the variety you have.
Gary

"Orient" and "Kieffer" are self-pollinating, and maybe a few others. It's
still a good idea; I just had to argue with the word "all" ;-)

Guppy never told us if the trees were blooming yet.

Bob

Old 06-08-2003, 03:42 AM
Guppy21014

The tree has not bloomed yet. I don't know what variety it is.
Old 06-08-2003, 06:32 AM
Ben Sharvy

Pears take 6-8 years to begin bearing fruit
(http://www.efn.org/~bsharvy/edible7.html#PearEuropean). Generally, if
you need to add a year each time you transplant a tree.

Pears generally need a pollinator; a late-blooming Asian pear will
work (unless you have a late-blooming European). Also, bees are not
very fond of pears, so it helps to put them close together, and not in
the vicinity of anything more appealing to bees.