Old 17-08-2003, 12:42 PM
Jan Flora

Default Garlic varieties?

Okay, you guys. It's time to order garlic to plant. Tell me about your
experiences with softneck and hardneck garlic and what you
think about how the different varieties taste. I'm in USDA Zone 3.

Someone brought us some genuine Gilroy, Calif. garlic this summer,
on their way up here to the Frozen North. It's so wonderful that I want
to eat it all, but I've been saving the biggest cloves to plant. I don't
know if it'll do okay here, so it may go into a cold greenhouse this
winter, instead of out in the garden. (Our winter weather is a real
crapshoot these days. We had NO snow last winter, and we normally
have 12-16' here, total. We're having a baby-boom here this summer,
because the guys were all stuck at home, instead of out in the hills,
bombing around on their snowmachines last winter.)

Can anyone recommend a good hardneck variety that isn't *too* hot?
I have all of the usual seed catalogs. It's time to order.

What else do ya'll in the northern reaches plant this time of year?
Can I sprinkle some leek seed in the garden? I'm going to sprinkle
some echinacea, poppy and rudbeckia seed out in the yard, for the
hell of it.

TIA,

Jan
USDA Zone 3

Garlic - garlic.jpg Ann Garden Photos 2 03-04-2008 11:31 AM
tomato, chives, basil, parsley varieties Joel Edible Gardening 3 04-03-2003 10:27 PM
tomato, chives, basil, parsley varieties Joel Edible Gardening 0 24-02-2003 10:03 PM
What tomato varieties are you growing this year? Lee Hall Edible Gardening 14 04-02-2003 12:01 AM
What tomato varieties are you growing this year? Brandywine?? Jo Edible Gardening 2 31-01-2003 05:57 PM