Old 24-08-2003, 07:22 PM
Glenna Rose

Default Re(2): birds pecking my tomatoes!

writes:

Thanks, but I allready have a birdbath out for them.
Maybe my mistake is that I put out bird food for them every day...Some
thanks I get from them!
Jerry Shirley, Long Island NY

Apparently Northeast birds are different from Northwest birds.g

I have both at least one bird bath and bird feeder in my garden at all
times and have never been bothered with birds bothering the veggies. The
only exception to that may have been some bean sprouts eaten last year but
am not certain of that since there were far too many squirrels in the yard
at the time, and they could have been the culprits. It wasn't repeated
this year, and the same types of birds were around but far fewer squirrels.

Oddly enough, though we have crows in the area, none have been observed in
my yard. Even the starlings have stopped coming into the yard as they did
the first two or three years; they still come in, but not nearly as often
thank you.

I do make it a point to keep water in the bird bath and have had one in
the same place for the past four years. Sometimes I have two or three, but
the first one is always in the same place and is very visible from the
air. There is also shelter for them next to it in the form of bushes so
they have a landing point near the bird bath. This spring, I added one of
my home-built tomato cages to it for added protection from cats. So, now,
my main bird bath looks like a bird cage with 6-inch mesh. The birds love
to sit on the wires and have adopted it as a favorite observation perch.

Early in the garden season, the birds use the tomato cages for perches,
but that soon changes as the tomato plants grow, and the birds seem to
never re-visit the cages.

If you don't have shelter for the birds (tree, bush, etc.) close to the
bird bath, perhaps changing that might be helpful. Good luck. :-)

Glenna