GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   navel oranges?? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/41520-navel-oranges.html)

[email protected] 28-08-2003 06:42 AM

navel oranges??

I know this is all subject, but am I the only one having trouble
purchasing small naval oranges? Several months ago I could buy small
naval oranges in bags, all the time. But since then, no joy. I'm not
sure but in the past, I think, I could always buy navel oranges,
anytime. Do you know if something has changed? Location here is
South Texas, thanks in advance, C. L. 73

Pat Meadows 28-08-2003 01:12 PM

navel oranges??

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 00:37:28 -0500, wrote:

I know this is all subject, but am I the only one having trouble
purchasing small naval oranges? Several months ago I could buy small
naval oranges in bags, all the time. But since then, no joy. I'm not
sure but in the past, I think, I could always buy navel oranges,
anytime. Do you know if something has changed? Location here is
South Texas, thanks in advance, C. L. 73

If you mean the very small mandarins, in the northeastern
USA, we've only been able to purchase them around
December-February.

Sometimes they're called 'satsumas', sometimes 'mandarins',
sometimes other things. I think they're called
'clementines' too.

Pat

Elizabeth 28-08-2003 02:02 PM

navel oranges??

wrote in message
I know this is all subject, but am I the only one having trouble
purchasing small naval oranges? Several months ago I could buy small
naval oranges in bags, all the time. But since then, no joy. I'm not
sure but in the past, I think, I could always buy navel oranges,
anytime. Do you know if something has changed? Location here is
South Texas, thanks in advance, C. L. 73

Navel oranges in the US are usually harvested by May or June. Imported from
southern hemisphere growers, navels can be found, sometimes at a premium.
New crops should start coming in around Nov - Dec from California and
Florida. Right now they are mostly picking Valencias.

--
elizabeth, Baton Rouge, LA
http://community.webshots.com/user/elott63

Repeating Decimal 28-08-2003 06:22 PM

navel oranges??

in article , at
wrote on 8/27/03 10:37 PM:

I know this is all subject, but am I the only one having trouble
purchasing small naval oranges? Several months ago I could buy small
naval oranges in bags, all the time. But since then, no joy. I'm not
sure but in the past, I think, I could always buy navel oranges,
anytime. Do you know if something has changed? Location here is
South Texas, thanks in advance, C. L. 73

The season for local navel oranges has been over for almost two months. All
the vendors at the Farmers' markets around here (S California) are pushing
Valencias.

Bill

Repeating Decimal 28-08-2003 06:32 PM

navel oranges??

in article , Pat Meadows at
wrote on 8/28/03 5:11 AM:

If you mean the very small mandarins, in the northeastern
USA, we've only been able to purchase them around
December-February.

Sometimes they're called 'satsumas', sometimes 'mandarins',
sometimes other things. I think they're called
'clementines' too.

*Mandarins* and *tangerines* are synonomous. Satsuma and clementine are just
varieties of mandarins.

Bill

Pat Meadows 28-08-2003 06:42 PM

navel oranges??

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 17:28:05 GMT, Repeating Decimal
wrote:

*Mandarins* and *tangerines* are synonomous. Satsuma and clementine are just
varieties of mandarins.

I think the actual usage (how the words are used in stores)
varies all over the place, though. Makes it very confusing.

Pat

Rona Yuthasastrakosol 28-08-2003 07:32 PM

navel oranges??

"Repeating Decimal" wrote in message

*Mandarins* and *tangerines* are synonomous. Satsuma and clementine are

just
varieties of mandarins.

Bill

I would agree with the latter statement, but not necessarily with the
former. AFAIK, tangerines are also a variety of mandarin. See
http://www.thefruitpages.com/oranges.shtml .

rona

Elizabeth 28-08-2003 08:02 PM

navel oranges??

"Rona Yuthasastrakosol" wrote in message

"Repeating Decimal" wrote in message

*Mandarins* and *tangerines* are synonomous. Satsuma and clementine are

just
varieties of mandarins.

Bill

I would agree with the latter statement, but not necessarily with the
former. AFAIK, tangerines are also a variety of mandarin. See
http://www.thefruitpages.com/oranges.shtml .

rona

Bill is correct. Mandarin and tangerine are both common names for Citrus
reticulata. 'Satsuma' and 'Clementine' are varietal names of C. reticulata.

Repeating Decimal 28-08-2003 08:22 PM

navel oranges??

in article , Pat Meadows at

wrote:

*Mandarins* and *tangerines* are synonomous. Satsuma and clementine are just
varieties of mandarins.

I think the actual usage (how the words are used in stores)
varies all over the place, though. Makes it very confusing.

Pat

It is also misleading; maybe accidentally on purpose. As far as I am
concerned, the satsuma mandarin is the best citrus there is. I think other
varieties have been pushed on me as satsuma. The problem with them is that
their season is very short.

Bill

Monique Reed 28-08-2003 08:42 PM

navel oranges??

And none of the currently available mandarins/tangerines/clementines
tastes at all like the tart tangerines we got as children. Too many
generations of breeding with sweet oranges has ruined the tangerine.
A tangerine Jelly Belly tastes more like a tangerine than a tangerine
does anymore.

Harrumph!
Monique Reed

Repeating Decimal 29-08-2003 07:02 AM

navel oranges??

in article , Monique Reed at
wrote on 8/28/03 12:22 PM:

And none of the currently available mandarins/tangerines/clementines
tastes at all like the tart tangerines we got as children. Too many
generations of breeding with sweet oranges has ruined the tangerine.
A tangerine Jelly Belly tastes more like a tangerine than a tangerine
does anymore.

I like my mandarins sweet and tart. There is no reason why that cannot be.

Bill