Old 28-08-2003, 06:42 AM

Default navel oranges??

I know this is all subject, but am I the only one having trouble
purchasing small naval oranges? Several months ago I could buy small
naval oranges in bags, all the time. But since then, no joy. I'm not
sure but in the past, I think, I could always buy navel oranges,
anytime. Do you know if something has changed? Location here is
South Texas, thanks in advance, C. L. 73
Old 28-08-2003, 02:02 PM
Elizabeth

wrote in message
I know this is all subject, but am I the only one having trouble
purchasing small naval oranges? Several months ago I could buy small
naval oranges in bags, all the time. But since then, no joy. I'm not
sure but in the past, I think, I could always buy navel oranges,
anytime. Do you know if something has changed? Location here is
South Texas, thanks in advance, C. L. 73

Navel oranges in the US are usually harvested by May or June. Imported from
southern hemisphere growers, navels can be found, sometimes at a premium.
New crops should start coming in around Nov - Dec from California and
Florida. Right now they are mostly picking Valencias.

--
elizabeth, Baton Rouge, LA
http://community.webshots.com/user/elott63

Old 28-08-2003, 06:42 PM
Pat Meadows

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 17:28:05 GMT, Repeating Decimal
wrote:

*Mandarins* and *tangerines* are synonomous. Satsuma and clementine are just
varieties of mandarins.

I think the actual usage (how the words are used in stores)
varies all over the place, though. Makes it very confusing.

Pat

Old 28-08-2003, 07:32 PM
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Repeating Decimal" wrote in message

*Mandarins* and *tangerines* are synonomous. Satsuma and clementine are

just
varieties of mandarins.

Bill

I would agree with the latter statement, but not necessarily with the
former. AFAIK, tangerines are also a variety of mandarin. See
http://www.thefruitpages.com/oranges.shtml .

rona

Old 28-08-2003, 08:02 PM
Elizabeth

"Rona Yuthasastrakosol" wrote in message

"Repeating Decimal" wrote in message

*Mandarins* and *tangerines* are synonomous. Satsuma and clementine are

just
varieties of mandarins.

Bill

I would agree with the latter statement, but not necessarily with the
former. AFAIK, tangerines are also a variety of mandarin. See
http://www.thefruitpages.com/oranges.shtml .

rona

Bill is correct. Mandarin and tangerine are both common names for Citrus
reticulata. 'Satsuma' and 'Clementine' are varietal names of C. reticulata.

Old 28-08-2003, 08:42 PM
Monique Reed

And none of the currently available mandarins/tangerines/clementines
tastes at all like the tart tangerines we got as children. Too many
generations of breeding with sweet oranges has ruined the tangerine.
A tangerine Jelly Belly tastes more like a tangerine than a tangerine
does anymore.

Harrumph!
Monique Reed