GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Catalpa tree question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/41570-catalpa-tree-question.html)

Joe 28-08-2003 09:32 PM

Catalpa tree question

Years ago I used to get worms off of the leafs of these trees at a certain
time of the year ( I can't remember which month) and use them for cat fish
bait. They were about the best bait I ever have seen for cat fish. I
haven't seen any of these leaf worms for many years. The question I have is
do they only appear periodically every so many years? I've been watching but
haven't seen any.
Thanks for your opinions.

Bill Bolle 28-08-2003 10:02 PM

Catalpa tree question

Joe wrote:

Years ago I used to get worms off of the leafs of these trees at a certain
time of the year ( I can't remember which month) and use them for cat fish
bait. They were about the best bait I ever have seen for cat fish. I
haven't seen any of these leaf worms for many years. The question I have is
do they only appear periodically every so many years? I've been watching but
haven't seen any.
Thanks for your opinions.

I planted several catalpas a few years back here in Eastern Oklahoma
with the express wish of getting some of these worms for bait but I
have yet to see my first one. Nowhere within a radius of 20 miles have
I seen a catalpa with worms--I don't think the neighbors would like it
if I were to import and sow some of these critters on my trees.

Bill

Steve 28-08-2003 11:42 PM

Catalpa tree question

Joe, I used to use catalpa worms for bait when I was kid in central
Ohio. I lived in a small town with several catalpa trees but we only
ever found one tree that had the worms. A big catalpa 3 houses down the
street seemed to always be worm free. The one tree that had worms seemed
to have them every year. That was 30 years ago but I still look at that
tree as I drive by when we visit my parents.

Steve ... now in the Adirondacks where the few catalpas I ever saw here
died out one winter.