Old 28-08-2003, 09:32 PM
Joe

Default Catalpa tree question

Years ago I used to get worms off of the leafs of these trees at a certain
time of the year ( I can't remember which month) and use them for cat fish
bait. They were about the best bait I ever have seen for cat fish. I
haven't seen any of these leaf worms for many years. The question I have is
do they only appear periodically every so many years? I've been watching but
haven't seen any.
Thanks for your opinions.

Old 28-08-2003, 10:02 PM
Bill Bolle

Joe wrote:

Years ago I used to get worms off of the leafs of these trees at a certain
time of the year ( I can't remember which month) and use them for cat fish
bait. They were about the best bait I ever have seen for cat fish. I
haven't seen any of these leaf worms for many years. The question I have is
do they only appear periodically every so many years? I've been watching but
haven't seen any.
Thanks for your opinions.

I planted several catalpas a few years back here in Eastern Oklahoma
with the express wish of getting some of these worms for bait but I
have yet to see my first one. Nowhere within a radius of 20 miles have
I seen a catalpa with worms--I don't think the neighbors would like it
if I were to import and sow some of these critters on my trees.

Bill

Old 28-08-2003, 11:42 PM
Steve

Joe, I used to use catalpa worms for bait when I was kid in central
Ohio. I lived in a small town with several catalpa trees but we only
ever found one tree that had the worms. A big catalpa 3 houses down the
street seemed to always be worm free. The one tree that had worms seemed
to have them every year. That was 30 years ago but I still look at that
tree as I drive by when we visit my parents.

Steve ... now in the Adirondacks where the few catalpas I ever saw here
died out one winter.

Joe wrote:

Years ago I used to get worms off of the leafs of these trees at a certain
time of the year ( I can't remember which month) and use them for cat fish
bait. They were about the best bait I ever have seen for cat fish. I
haven't seen any of these leaf worms for many years. The question I have is
do they only appear periodically every so many years? I've been watching but
haven't seen any.
Thanks for your opinions.

PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Catalpa Tree Jack Schmidling Gardening 5 09-10-2006 07:47 PM
Catalpa tree question Ace Gardening 2 07-09-2004 03:36 PM
catalpa tree Raleighgirl North Carolina 3 08-05-2003 10:32 PM
Catalpa tree bentcajungirl Lawns 1 05-05-2003 10:58 PM
Catalpa tree bentcajungirl Lawns 6 06-04-2003 01:20 PM