Old 10-10-2003, 07:02 PM
Shot Caller

Default REQ: Chile pepper planting advice...

I live in Southern California and recently purchased some Chiltepin
seeds from Burpee. Is there is a preferred way to germinate or ideal
potting soil mixture? I was thinking that since they only require
partial sun, I could leave them indoors for a few months in front of a
large window where they would get about 3.5 hours of sun a day. The
temperature range could vary from 68 to 85 degrees indoors. I have no
skills or knowledge of growing so please explain in detail here or via
e-mail. Thanks...
BillyKendig"at"bigfoot.com
Old 12-10-2003, 03:02 PM
Phaedrine Stonebridge

In article ,
Shot Caller wrote:

I live in Southern California and recently purchased some Chiltepin
seeds from Burpee. Is there is a preferred way to germinate or ideal
potting soil mixture? I was thinking that since they only require
partial sun, I could leave them indoors for a few months in front of a
large window where they would get about 3.5 hours of sun a day. The
temperature range could vary from 68 to 85 degrees indoors. I have no
skills or knowledge of growing so please explain in detail here or via
e-mail. Thanks...
BillyKendig"at"bigfoot.com

We use a soiless mix to germinate our seeds and then pot them up in a
light commercial soil mix once they have a few pairs of leaves. I had
70+ pepper plants this year and they all did so well that I will be
cutting back next year. I have not grown peppers indoors, except as
seedlines, so I cannot advise you on that.
Old 12-10-2003, 03:12 PM

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 17:55:30 GMT, Shot Caller
wrote:

I live in Southern California and recently purchased some Chiltepin
seeds from Burpee. Is there is a preferred way to germinate or ideal
potting soil mixture? I was thinking that since they only require
partial sun, I could leave them indoors for a few months in front of a
large window where they would get about 3.5 hours of sun a day. The
temperature range could vary from 68 to 85 degrees indoors. I have no
skills or knowledge of growing so please explain in detail here or via
e-mail. Thanks...

If you live in SoCal, you could put the peppers outside, no?
I don't think that peppers will fruit on only 3.5 hours of
sun/day.

OTOH, I don't live in SoCal and maybe the sunlight is much
stronger there than in the Northeastern USA. It would have
to be for peppers to fruit on 3.5 hours of sun/day, AFAIK.

The 65-85 temperature degree range should be fine.

Pat
--
To email me, remove the trap and type my first
name in its place.

CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
United States: http://www.stopthehunger.com/
International: http://www.thehungersite.com/

Pepper Pepper who's got the Pepper? Dan L. Gardening 2 04-04-2007 07:32 PM
New web site for chile pepper container gardening [email protected] Gardening 0 26-02-2005 05:00 AM
REQ: advice Rez Ponds 31 09-06-2004 04:15 PM
REQ: Advice on courses for Landscape design ...... T&T Gardens Gardening 5 25-10-2003 06:12 PM
REQ: Chile pepper planting advice... Shot Caller Gardening 0 10-10-2003 07:02 PM