GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   PING Gary Woods (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/45394-ping-gary-woods.html)

Jon Endres, PE 14-10-2003 01:12 AM

PING Gary Woods

Gary,

About when should those of us in this area be putting in the garlic?

Thanks.

--
Jon Endres, PE
Reply To: wmengineer (at) adelphia (dot) net

Gary Woods 14-10-2003 04:02 PM

PING Gary Woods

"Jon Endres, PE" wrote:

About when should those of us in this area be putting in the garlic?

Refresh my memory about where "this area" is... I should be planting
within the next couple of weeks in upstate NY; the rule I heard at a talk
by somebody who actually knew something was 4-6 weeks before ground frost,
i.e. the ground freezing to an appreciable depth. Here, that's usually
well into December.

Now if I can only trim and weigh all that cured garlic that's hanging in
the shed......

Jon Endres, PE 15-10-2003 12:02 AM

PING Gary Woods

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
"Jon Endres, PE" wrote:

About when should those of us in this area be putting in the garlic?

Refresh my memory about where "this area" is... I should be planting
within the next couple of weeks in upstate NY; the rule I heard at a talk
by somebody who actually knew something was 4-6 weeks before ground frost,
i.e. the ground freezing to an appreciable depth. Here, that's usually
well into December.

Ah...oops. This area meaning your area - upstate NY, Capital district, and
in my case, southern Vermont.

Jon

Jon Endres, PE 15-10-2003 12:02 AM

PING Gary Woods

Right here, of course. :)

In my case, southern VT.

Gary Woods 15-10-2003 03:02 AM

PING Gary Woods

"Jon Endres, PE" wrote:

Right here, of course. :)

I should 've known.... put an "X" on the fender while I was there, so I
could find it again.

IOW, any time within the next few weeks would be ok. If it suddenly turns
cold earlier than usual, apply some mulch. Otherwise, it's best NOT to
mulch until the ground freezes a bit; all you want to do is damp the
freeze-thaw cycle. A good coat of "poor man's fertilizer" is just as good
and, appealing to a Vermonter, free...