GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Fall report (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/46290-fall-report.html)

simy1 28-10-2003 06:22 PM

Fall report

I continue to eat a bowl of green chicory every night. I just finished
the chard, except for small leaves that will end up in salads. Anytime
is good for potato-sorrel soup these days (as well as any dessert
containing pears, I got tons of both potatoes and pears). I have not
even started to graze the arugula, collard, red cabbage, cardoon, and
red radicchio, though collard will follow chard and red
radicchio+arugula will follow chicory. Some beets, too are still in
the ground.

For next year, mult. onions and garlic are planted, plus hardy lettuce
is three inches tall and I will start harvesting it in April. The
tatsoi did not develop in time, so that will be eaten in the spring
too. The mache bed is covered in mache that will overwinter uncovered
for first harvest in April. I also have some large green chicory that
I selectively did not harvest and that will make small heads in late
december (under cover) - these are usually the very last harvest in
January before the Big Chill. I am in Michigan, and I will cover my
beds with a poly tunnel shortly after Thanksgiving.

[email protected] 28-10-2003 07:12 PM

Fall report

On 28 Oct 2003 10:19:43 -0800, (simy1)
wrote:

I continue to eat a bowl of green chicory every night. I just finished
the chard, except for small leaves that will end up in salads. Anytime
is good for potato-sorrel soup these days (as well as any dessert
containing pears, I got tons of both potatoes and pears). I have not
even started to graze the arugula, collard, red cabbage, cardoon, and
red radicchio, though collard will follow chard and red
radicchio+arugula will follow chicory. Some beets, too are still in
the ground.

(from Northern PA, one of the colder areas of Zone 5).

You're doing better than I am... I didn't get many fall
things planted (we thought we were moving, and I didn't have
the heart to do so).

Nevertheless, we have sorrel, radicchio, lettuce, chard and
kale. This is nice. I planted garlic also.

Indoors, I have miniature tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants
growing. Also Spicy Globe Bush Basil, and I'll be starting
cilantro tomorrow and then one batch of cilantro each
week...

Pat

--
To email me, remove the spam trap and type my first
name in its place.

CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
United States:
http://www.stopthehunger.com/
International: http://www.thehungersite.com/

joe s 28-10-2003 09:12 PM

Fall report

well, i guess you ALL will hate me, i live in FL and we are starting up our
"winter" garden:

- tomatoes
- carrots
- onions
- lettuce
- misc. herbs
- bush beans
- mustard greens
- cabbage
- broccolli
- cauliflower
- radishes
- cucumbers
- peas
- corn

don't hate me......too much ;)
om...

TitanTim 30-10-2003 03:32 AM

Fall report

"joe s" wrote in message ...
well, i guess you ALL will hate me, i live in FL and we are starting up our
"winter" garden:

- tomatoes
- carrots
- onions
- lettuce
- misc. herbs
- bush beans
- mustard greens
- cabbage
- broccolli
- cauliflower
- radishes
- cucumbers
- peas
- corn

I live in Southern California, and have started my winter garden as
well...
Cabbage, broccoli, chard, eggplant, cauliflower, lettuce, onions,
shallots, spinach, peas, many herbs, carrots, brussels...

And I'm also growing a nice supply of whiteflies, if anybody would
like to take these off my hands... I'm starting to get a handle on
them though...

joe s 30-10-2003 02:02 PM

Fall report

"TitanTim" wrote in message
om...
"joe s" wrote in message

[...]

i LOVE this time of year :) cools off enough so that you can enjoy the
outdoors i could spend HOURS in the garden :)

TitanTim 30-10-2003 08:32 PM

Fall report

"joe s" wrote in message ...

I live in Southern California, and have started my winter garden as
well...
Cabbage, broccoli, chard, eggplant, cauliflower, lettuce, onions,
shallots, spinach, peas, many herbs, carrots, brussels...

And I'm also growing a nice supply of whiteflies, if anybody would
like to take these off my hands... I'm starting to get a handle on
them though...

i LOVE this time of year :) cools off enough so that you can enjoy the
outdoors i could spend HOURS in the garden :)

My mornings are great right now... I don't leave for work until 10 am,
so from about 7 (or maybe 8) until 9:30 or so, I just tinker around in
the garden... Good way to get the day started.

I'd be interested to know how your tomatoes and corn and cucumbers and
these other "warm weather" plants do in the winter... I normally stick
to the hardier plants in my winter garden...

joe s 03-11-2003 01:42 PM

Fall report

"joe s" wrote in message
TitanTim wrote in message
om...
"joe s" wrote in message

[...]

well, so far it has been staying in the low 80s during the day and the

high
60s at night (and according to the forcast will stay that way for another

2
weeks)

otherwise, it's florida :) we MAY get a freak high 40's night this time of
year, but thats a one timer...

update on FL weather, looks like mid 80's for at least 2 more weeks.... my
garden is SO happy...