Old 28-10-2003, 06:22 PM
simy1

Default Fall report

I continue to eat a bowl of green chicory every night. I just finished
the chard, except for small leaves that will end up in salads. Anytime
is good for potato-sorrel soup these days (as well as any dessert
containing pears, I got tons of both potatoes and pears). I have not
even started to graze the arugula, collard, red cabbage, cardoon, and
red radicchio, though collard will follow chard and red
radicchio+arugula will follow chicory. Some beets, too are still in
the ground.

For next year, mult. onions and garlic are planted, plus hardy lettuce
is three inches tall and I will start harvesting it in April. The
tatsoi did not develop in time, so that will be eaten in the spring
too. The mache bed is covered in mache that will overwinter uncovered
for first harvest in April. I also have some large green chicory that
I selectively did not harvest and that will make small heads in late
december (under cover) - these are usually the very last harvest in
January before the Big Chill. I am in Michigan, and I will cover my
beds with a poly tunnel shortly after Thanksgiving.
Old 28-10-2003, 09:12 PM
joe s

well, i guess you ALL will hate me, i live in FL and we are starting up our
"winter" garden:

- tomatoes
- carrots
- onions
- lettuce
- misc. herbs
- bush beans
- mustard greens
- cabbage
- broccolli
- cauliflower
- radishes
- cucumbers
- peas
- corn

don't hate me......too much
om...

Old 30-10-2003, 03:32 AM
TitanTim

"joe s" wrote in message ...
well, i guess you ALL will hate me, i live in FL and we are starting up our
"winter" garden:

- tomatoes
- carrots
- onions
- lettuce
- misc. herbs
- bush beans
- mustard greens
- cabbage
- broccolli
- cauliflower
- radishes
- cucumbers
- peas
- corn

I live in Southern California, and have started my winter garden as
well...
Cabbage, broccoli, chard, eggplant, cauliflower, lettuce, onions,
shallots, spinach, peas, many herbs, carrots, brussels...

And I'm also growing a nice supply of whiteflies, if anybody would
like to take these off my hands... I'm starting to get a handle on
them though...
Old 30-10-2003, 02:02 PM
joe s

"TitanTim" wrote in message
om...
"joe s" wrote in message

[...]

i LOVE this time of year cools off enough so that you can enjoy the
outdoors i could spend HOURS in the garden

Old 30-10-2003, 08:32 PM
TitanTim

"joe s" wrote in message ...

I live in Southern California, and have started my winter garden as
well...
Cabbage, broccoli, chard, eggplant, cauliflower, lettuce, onions,
shallots, spinach, peas, many herbs, carrots, brussels...

And I'm also growing a nice supply of whiteflies, if anybody would
like to take these off my hands... I'm starting to get a handle on
them though...

i LOVE this time of year cools off enough so that you can enjoy the
outdoors i could spend HOURS in the garden

My mornings are great right now... I don't leave for work until 10 am,
so from about 7 (or maybe 8) until 9:30 or so, I just tinker around in
the garden... Good way to get the day started.

I'd be interested to know how your tomatoes and corn and cucumbers and
these other "warm weather" plants do in the winter... I normally stick
to the hardier plants in my winter garden...
Old 03-11-2003, 01:42 PM
joe s

"joe s" wrote in message
TitanTim wrote in message
om...
"joe s" wrote in message

[...]

well, so far it has been staying in the low 80s during the day and the

high
60s at night (and according to the forcast will stay that way for another

2
weeks)

otherwise, it's florida we MAY get a freak high 40's night this time of
year, but thats a one timer...

update on FL weather, looks like mid 80's for at least 2 more weeks.... my
garden is SO happy...

fall weather report k Ponds (moderated) 15 02-10-2007 02:18 AM
Water fall & filter design, please comment. John Ponds 3 19-06-2003 03:08 PM
Fall tree-collecting ss Bonsai 0 19-03-2003 09:20 PM
fall suggestions Hannah Barnum North Carolina 4 28-02-2003 10:26 PM
seed in fall before spring crabgrass preventer? E Gardener Gardening 5 28-01-2003 12:14 AM