GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Info needed on starting sweet potato slips (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/463-info-needed-starting-sweet-potato-slips.html)

Dwayne 30-01-2003 04:37 AM

Info needed on starting sweet potato slips

I know how to start sweet potato slips outside. When I lived in the South
(zone 7), that was OK, but now I live in zone 5. I started them outside
last year and didnt harvest as many as I would like, or as early as I hoped
..

Can I just start them in a warm well lighted room on a table, or do I need a
growing light?

Do I need to put fresh manure in the seed bed inside, like I needed to
outside?

I would like to get 100 to 150 slips. How many seed potatoes do I need to
realize that many?

Thanks for the help. Dwayne

FarmerDill 30-01-2003 09:50 PM

Info needed on starting sweet potato slips

Can I just start them in a warm well lighted room on a table, or do I need a
growing light?

Do I need to put fresh manure in the seed bed inside, like I needed to
outside?

I would like to get 100 to 150 slips. How many seed potatoes do I need to
realize that many?

Thanks for the help. Dwayne

If you have a good sunlit window, you should be okay. You can start them halg
submetged in water, just remeber to kpoit the root end down, A growers mix like
pro mix or Fertilmix will also work, They key is temperature, the medium needs
to be in excess of 70 degree Fahrenheit. I usuall use 6 potatoes per 25 plants
, this will normally give about 30 plants redy to set a a time period, If you
are willing to wait for secondary plants you cna use half that amount. Of
course it is better to have too many than too few,

zxcvbob 30-01-2003 10:14 PM

Info needed on starting sweet potato slips

Someone's been touch-typing with their pinkie on the 'S' key again...

nrdy trhstfd, ;-)
Bob