Old 30-01-2003, 04:37 AM
Dwayne

Default Info needed on starting sweet potato slips

I know how to start sweet potato slips outside. When I lived in the South
(zone 7), that was OK, but now I live in zone 5. I started them outside
last year and didnt harvest as many as I would like, or as early as I hoped
..

Can I just start them in a warm well lighted room on a table, or do I need a
growing light?

Do I need to put fresh manure in the seed bed inside, like I needed to
outside?

I would like to get 100 to 150 slips. How many seed potatoes do I need to
realize that many?

Thanks for the help. Dwayne

Old 30-01-2003, 09:50 PM
FarmerDill

Can I just start them in a warm well lighted room on a table, or do I need a
growing light?

Do I need to put fresh manure in the seed bed inside, like I needed to
outside?

I would like to get 100 to 150 slips. How many seed potatoes do I need to
realize that many?

Thanks for the help. Dwayne

If you have a good sunlit window, you should be okay. You can start them halg
submetged in water, just remeber to kpoit the root end down, A growers mix like
pro mix or Fertilmix will also work, They key is temperature, the medium needs
to be in excess of 70 degree Fahrenheit. I usuall use 6 potatoes per 25 plants
, this will normally give about 30 plants redy to set a a time period, If you
are willing to wait for secondary plants you cna use half that amount. Of
course it is better to have too many than too few,
Old 30-01-2003, 10:14 PM
zxcvbob

Someone's been touch-typing with their pinkie on the 'S' key again...

nrdy trhstfd, ;-)
Bob

sweet potato slips MW United Kingdom 17 13-01-2010 11:17 AM
Sweet potato starting Allan Matthews Edible Gardening 17 06-04-2004 09:13 PM
Sweet potato starting Allan Matthews Edible Gardening 0 18-03-2004 02:02 AM
tomato existed before the potato tomato? Solanum or Lycopersicon potato was a mutated to Darren Garrison Plant Science 0 26-04-2003 01:23 PM
tomato existed before the potato tomato? Solanum or Lycopersicon potato was a mutated to Cereoid+10 Plant Science 0 26-04-2003 01:23 PM