Old 06-11-2003, 11:42 PM
John Savage

Default I eat slugs in my garden

Bry writes:
The french still eat snails fried in butter with herbs, and

Not only the French, either. There is someone here in Australia who
farms the ordinary garden snails and sells them to local restaurants.
She sells all she can grow! Escargot is a popular dish with sophisticated
diners. ;-)

She feeds the snails on lettuce, etc., to fatten them, then IIRC they spend
a few days on oatmeal to clean them out before going to slaughter. :-)

Old 07-11-2003, 01:42 PM
joe s

"Mike Davis" wrote in message

"joe s" wrote in message
"Mike Davis" wrote in message

"joe s" wrote in message
"Mike Davis" wrote in message

"Fito" wrote in message

"Bry" wrote in message
s.com...
Now that was disgusting. Not to mention
the time I went to a Japanese restaraunt not far from Covent

gardens
and they had whole stir fryed baby squid, they looked vile

with
their
greasy tenticles hanging everywhere and the one person brave

(or
foolish) enough to try it was eating them like the inner tube

of
car
tire...

The notion of eating slugs and worms is rather tame in

comparison.
--
Bry

Fried squid is so commonly eaten that it isnt considered

strange.
One
item
eat that I always get a blank stare is conch. I dont think many

people
know
what lives in those shells that most only see on a Caribbean

vacation.
http://www.natureislanddive.com/nidjpegs/conch.jpg

Fito - Yum Yum.

A basket of conch fritters and a nice cool Kalik, brings back fond
memories
of sailing in the Abacos...

Mike D.

don't forget the fries and dipping sauce...and make that a Kalik

gold

Good thought, Joe! But I'll take the conch even without the sauce...

MAN!! this is making me drool right now!!!!! -- i can't wait until next

year
when we go back..where abouts did you sail?

Lessee...

We flew into in Marsh Harbor (where else?) then hopped a ferry to Hope

Town,
where we were based. We toddled around visiting the various cays. I recall
Great Guana Cay, where we strolled the "Great Guana Cay Turnpike" (wide
enough for one car or one and one-half golf carts) and visited Nipper's

Dock
Bar (open 364.5 days a year) on its cliff overlooking the Atlantic. Did a
bit of snorkeling off Man of War Cay, also some sightseeing, and poking
around in the museum in Coopers Town. We happened to be down there for
Junkanoo and had a thoroughly enjoyable trip.

WOW!! we always rent a cottage on Guana Cay....we know a native there and he
always takes us out fishing and diving to all the good spots

Nippers is always fun..beautiful view....pretty good food..

The native we know, his wife makes some MEAN conch fritters...

Old 07-11-2003, 03:42 PM
Mike Davis

"John Savage" wrote in message
om...
Bry writes:
The french still eat snails fried in butter with herbs, and

Not only the French, either. There is someone here in Australia who
farms the ordinary garden snails and sells them to local restaurants.
She sells all she can grow! Escargot is a popular dish with sophisticated
diners. ;-)

She feeds the snails on lettuce, etc., to fatten them, then IIRC they

spend
a few days on oatmeal to clean them out before going to slaughter. :-)

It would appear that oat fiber is good for keeping lots of critters
"regular."

Old 07-11-2003, 09:32 PM
James

"Fito" wrote in message ...
"General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 15:03:16 -0800, Stan J. Lefosi wrote:

Saves a lot of money, your garden is full of life,
slugs,snails,ants,worms,flies - taste great !

I've been wondering if they were edible, a slug should be pretty
indistinguishable from escargot especially when covered with garlic and
butter. People seem to think that this is a troll but I'm wondering if
anyone has tried them.

I am willing to bet they have tried them.

Fito

wellm for some reason you can snails but not slugs in Chinese
restaurants. If slugs tastes good I bet it would be for sale
somewhere.