GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Mr. Stripey (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/496-mr-stripey.html)

Cricket 08-02-2003 02:48 AM

Mr. Stripey

No I haven't, but I've grown Big Rainbow and I can tell you that it's an
excellently flavored large beautiful tomato, not just a novelty. Not the
heaviest yielder, and a moderate number of fruits are not A1's, so I
wouldn't say it's a market cornerstone variety, but it is also clearly more
than just a novelty. I brought them to our booth at the farmer's market
booth to attract people to their beauty and sell first rate good tasting
fancy slicers.

--
Please see our website of gardening products at
http://www.southernexposure.com

Peace

Cricket
"James Mayer" wrote in message

Has anyone grown these tomatoes and are they any good or are they
just a novelty?

James Mayer 08-02-2003 04:54 AM

Mr. Stripey

FarmerDill 08-02-2003 03:51 PM

Mr. Stripey

Has anyone grown these tomatoes and are they any good or are they
just a novelty?

Ther are two versions of this variety. One is a large bicolor beefsteak, For
me, this one gave low yeilds and was so soft that it turned to mush if not
picked and eaten immediately on ripening, The other is small round variety also
called Tigerella, This one has true stripes rather than the red gold streaks
and mottles of the beefsteak version, Neither is comparable to Big Rainbow in
my opinion.

Zphysics1 08-02-2003 03:51 PM

Mr. Stripey

The other is small round variety also
called Tigerella, This one has true stripes rather than the red gold streaks
and mottles of the beefsteak version, Neither is comparable to Big Rainbow in
my opinion.

I was going to say Tigerella. Pretty -- but mushy-- okay if harvested almost
ripe and eaten day after.

James Mayer 08-02-2003 03:51 PM

Mr. Stripey

On 08 Feb 2003 14:49:59 GMT, (Zphysics1) wrote:

The other is small round variety also
called Tigerella, This one has true stripes rather than the red gold streaks
and mottles of the beefsteak version, Neither is comparable to Big Rainbow in
my opinion.

I was going to say Tigerella. Pretty -- but mushy-- okay if harvested almost
ripe and eaten day after.

I just read the lable and it is an heirloom and, from the picture,
it is the smaller version and has true stripes. We'll see when I get
some ripe. I just transplanted them into the garden. It was an
impulse buy at Home Depot as was the egg plants.

Lee Hall 08-02-2003 05:43 PM

Mr. Stripey

(James Mayer) wrote in message ...
Has anyone grown these tomatoes and are they any good or are they
just a novelty?

I have grown them, or attempted to, for the last two years. I
normally start all my plants from seed but my granddaughter is a big
Mr. Stripey fan so I bought both of these plants locally. The 2001
plant was one of the biggest bushiest plants I have ever grown but did
not produce a single tomato. The buds would form but they always
dropped off before forming a fruit. This is the only plant I have
ever grown that had this problem. Last year's Mr. Stripey produced
very well. It was also a very large bushy plant but it produced quite
a few tomatoes, averaging about 16 ounces. My Mr. Stripeys were a
very sweet tasting tomato. I like my tomatoes a little more tart but
several people who tried these liked them a lot.

Lee Hall
Zone 6B - Tennessee

zxcvbob 08-02-2003 05:43 PM

Mr. Stripey

Zphysics1 wrote:

The other is small round variety also
called Tigerella, This one has true stripes rather than the red gold streaks
and mottles of the beefsteak version, Neither is comparable to Big Rainbow in
my opinion.

I was going to say Tigerella. Pretty -- but mushy-- okay if harvested almost
ripe and eaten day after.

How about "Tiger Tom"? That's on my shopping list because it looks
interesting and the seed catalog sez it is very early.

Best regards,
Bob

FarmerDill 11-02-2003 11:55 PM

Mr. Stripey

I just read the lable and it is an heirloom and, from the picture,
it is the smaller version and has true stripes. We'll see when I get
some ripe. I just transplanted them into the garden. It was an
impulse buy at Home Depot as was the egg plants.

Let us know how it turns out, In this area all the Home Depots, Lowes as well
as the gardening centers and Feed and Seeds sell plants from Bonnie Plant
Farms, These have a picture of Tigerella on the lable but are all the large
beefsteak,