Old 08-02-2003, 02:48 AM
Cricket

Default Mr. Stripey

No I haven't, but I've grown Big Rainbow and I can tell you that it's an
excellently flavored large beautiful tomato, not just a novelty. Not the
heaviest yielder, and a moderate number of fruits are not A1's, so I
wouldn't say it's a market cornerstone variety, but it is also clearly more
than just a novelty. I brought them to our booth at the farmer's market
booth to attract people to their beauty and sell first rate good tasting
fancy slicers.

--
Please see our website of gardening products at
http://www.southernexposure.com

Peace

Cricket
"James Mayer" wrote in message

Has anyone grown these tomatoes and are they any good or are they
just a novelty?

Old 08-02-2003, 04:54 AM
James Mayer

Old 08-02-2003, 03:51 PM
FarmerDill

Has anyone grown these tomatoes and are they any good or are they
just a novelty?

Ther are two versions of this variety. One is a large bicolor beefsteak, For
me, this one gave low yeilds and was so soft that it turned to mush if not
picked and eaten immediately on ripening, The other is small round variety also
called Tigerella, This one has true stripes rather than the red gold streaks
and mottles of the beefsteak version, Neither is comparable to Big Rainbow in
my opinion.
Old 08-02-2003, 03:51 PM
Zphysics1

The other is small round variety also
called Tigerella, This one has true stripes rather than the red gold streaks
and mottles of the beefsteak version, Neither is comparable to Big Rainbow in
my opinion.

I was going to say Tigerella. Pretty -- but mushy-- okay if harvested almost
ripe and eaten day after.

Old 08-02-2003, 05:43 PM
zxcvbob

Zphysics1 wrote:

The other is small round variety also
called Tigerella, This one has true stripes rather than the red gold streaks
and mottles of the beefsteak version, Neither is comparable to Big Rainbow in
my opinion.

I was going to say Tigerella. Pretty -- but mushy-- okay if harvested almost
ripe and eaten day after.

How about "Tiger Tom"? That's on my shopping list because it looks
interesting and the seed catalog sez it is very early.

Best regards,
Bob
Old 11-02-2003, 11:55 PM
FarmerDill

I just read the lable and it is an heirloom and, from the picture,
it is the smaller version and has true stripes. We'll see when I get
some ripe. I just transplanted them into the garden. It was an
impulse buy at Home Depot as was the egg plants.

Let us know how it turns out, In this area all the Home Depots, Lowes as well
as the gardening centers and Feed and Seeds sell plants from Bonnie Plant
Farms, These have a picture of Tigerella on the lable but are all the large
beefsteak,