Old 05-01-2004, 08:02 PM
Hoss

Default Oystershells

I have acess to lots of oystershells,and knowing that they are mostly
calcium. I was thinking of using them in my garden,maybe as a mulch for
potted plants or buried in the container or garden.Any thoughts?....

Old 06-01-2004, 12:36 AM
Sam

I am wondering how you plan on crushing them. I too have plenty of shells as
I harvest the oysters myself, but have not come up with a good way crushing
them.

--
Sam
Along the Grand Strand of Myrtle Beach,SC

Old 06-01-2004, 02:12 PM
Frogleg

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 19:23:43 -0500, " Sam" wrote:

"Hoss" wrote

I have acess to lots of oystershells,and knowing that they are mostly
calcium. I was thinking of using them in my garden,maybe as a mulch for
potted plants or buried in the container or garden.Any thoughts?....

I am wondering how you plan on crushing them. I too have plenty of shells as
I harvest the oysters myself, but have not come up with a good way crushing
them.

These are things one just longs to find uses for. Like plastic
soft-drink containers. A brief Google reveals the crushed shells are
used as grit for birds (and ferrets?) and fertilizer. eBay has an
offer with some well-cleaned and inside-polished shells for (food)
serving. Another reference was from someone who wanted shells for his
driveway.

Recycling includes returning shells to the water where new spawn may
attach.

I use clam shells as outdoor ashtrays for them as needs 'em.

Crushing? How 'bout a sturdy bag and a small sledgehammer?

For the OP, I doubt much calcium leaches out of whole shells. Smashing
up as chips for mulch and near-powder for fertilizer seems feasible.

Old 06-01-2004, 08:27 PM
FarmerDill

I have acess to lots of oystershells,and knowing that they are mostly
calcium. I was thinking of using them in my garden,maybe as a mulch for
potted plants or buried in the container or garden.Any thoughts?....

Oyster shells are primarily calcium carbonate similar to limestone and marble
chips. Very good for reducing soil acidity but very bad for acid loving plants.
You could use crushed oyster shells in lieu of ground limestone or whole oyster
shells in places where you would use a marble chip mulch.
Old 07-01-2004, 02:43 PM
Hoss

Thank's for the responses,...I think i'll crush some,Maybe put it in a
strong burlap sack and drive over it a few times,and add it to my soil.I
still plan to use some as mulch on potted tomato plants to reduce moisture
loss and discourage weeds.I'm going to try some seaweed as well. I'll keep
you posted....Hoss out...