Old 17-01-2004, 11:02 PM
Ross

Default what shares space with Garlic well?

I have a small space and grow a lot there.
So I some times share the same area's.

Since my garlic is already in, it will be ready to pick in June I think?

Anyone have good experience with a companion crop to Garlic?

Ross

Old 18-01-2004, 03:38 AM
simy1

Ross wrote in message ...
I have a small space and grow a lot there.
So I some times share the same area's.

Since my garlic is already in, it will be ready to pick in June I think?

Anyone have good experience with a companion crop to Garlic?

Ross

I always interplant my garlic. Collard and mache were not very
appropriate (too competitive). I had best results with lettuce and
radicchio.

Old 18-01-2004, 04:43 AM
Dwayne

I read where Roses like to have garlic grown around them. Your roses are
usually permanent, and so should be your garlic. That way you harvest what
you need and leave the rest to the following year. I know a man who does
this with a 30 ft long row. He never has to replant and he never goes
without fresh garlic.

Dwayne

Old 18-01-2004, 01:02 PM
Compostman

"Ross" wrote in message
I have a small space and grow a lot there.
So I some times share the same area's.

Since my garlic is already in, it will be ready to pick in June I think?

Anyone have good experience with a companion crop to Garlic?

Ross

I grow my garlic between two rows of asparagus. The asaparagus gets big
about the time I have finished harvesting the garlic.
Compostman
Washington, DC
USDA Zone 7

Old 12-02-2004, 05:02 AM
Anonymous

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 18:58:42 -0800, simy1 wrote:

I always interplant my garlic. Collard and mache were not very
appropriate (too competitive). I had best results with lettuce and
radicchio.

I have seen tomatoes listed as an interplanting crop. I'm going to be
trying it this summer ... otherwise I will have to drop garlic from the
menu because 'tomatoes aren't optional'.

I'll let the list know how it went.

Bill from Detroit under yet another nom de plume. (Hi, Pat K.!)

Old 12-02-2004, 06:32 AM
Katra

In article ,
Anonymous wrote:

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 18:58:42 -0800, simy1 wrote:

I always interplant my garlic. Collard and mache were not very
appropriate (too competitive). I had best results with lettuce and
radicchio.

I have seen tomatoes listed as an interplanting crop. I'm going to be
trying it this summer ... otherwise I will have to drop garlic from the
menu because 'tomatoes aren't optional'.

I'll let the list know how it went.

Bill from Detroit under yet another nom de plume. (Hi, Pat K.!)

????? I generally plant garlic just about anywhere I have a bug problem.

Never had a problem with compatibility as long as the soil and light
requirements are similar. :-)

Creeping pennyroyal worked well in the flower beds.

K. (who, despite the post on cutter ants, is really into organic control
as much as possible......)

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

,,Cat's Haven Hobby Farm,,Katra at centurytel dot net,,

Old 12-02-2004, 03:02 PM
Steve Calvin

Anonymous wrote:

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 18:58:42 -0800, simy1 wrote:

I always interplant my garlic. Collard and mache were not very
appropriate (too competitive). I had best results with lettuce and
radicchio.

I have seen tomatoes listed as an interplanting crop. I'm going to be
trying it this summer ... otherwise I will have to drop garlic from the
menu because 'tomatoes aren't optional'.

I'll let the list know how it went.

Bill from Detroit under yet another nom de plume. (Hi, Pat K.!)

My garlic is planted right beside my tomatoes. No problem.

--
Steve

Old 12-02-2004, 03:42 PM
Gary Woods

Anonymous wrote:

I have seen tomatoes listed as an interplanting crop.

I would worry just a bit, since both tomatoes and garlic are heavy feeders;
I grow it in a bed and the outside bulbs are always a bit bigger. And
garlic doesn't compete very well for sunlight... still, it's worth a try.
Smaller lower moisture garlic keeps better and is more pungent as a bonus.

Old 12-02-2004, 06:14 PM
Compostman

I plant my garlic between two rows of asparagus, which are about 5 feet
apart. The garlic grows in the late Fall and Spring and the asparagus grows
in later Spring and Summer, so they aren't competing at the same time. I
use lots of fish emulsion for fertilizer for both.

--
Compostman
Washington, DC
newsan.2004.02.12.04.54.19.556702@notarealserver .com...

Old 12-02-2004, 06:21 PM
simy1

Anonymous wrote in message news:pan.2004.02.12.04.54.19.556702@notarealserve r.com...
On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 18:58:42 -0800, simy1 wrote:

I always interplant my garlic. Collard and mache were not very
appropriate (too competitive). I had best results with lettuce and
radicchio.

I have seen tomatoes listed as an interplanting crop. I'm going to be
trying it this summer ... otherwise I will have to drop garlic from the
menu because 'tomatoes aren't optional'.

I'll let the list know how it went.

Bill from Detroit under yet another nom de plume. (Hi, Pat K.!)

That, of course, means small garlic (in the case of hardneck, many
heads with only two or three bulbs) because it wil stop growing as
soon as it is shaded (sometimes in june). You have to use short
veggies if you want both crops to happen.

Old 12-02-2004, 09:44 PM
Grandpa

Katra wrote:

snip

????? I generally plant garlic just about anywhere I have a bug problem.

I had a bunch of garlic planted between 2 mounds of zucinni squash.
Didn't phase them steeeeeenkin' squash bugs in the least....Grrrrrr....
Nor did the marigolds closeby either!

If you had shares in this shame on you.... PC Australia 6 10-04-2010 07:54 AM
Well well! mark United Kingdom 6 11-03-2009 11:51 PM
Well well! Gordon H[_3_] United Kingdom 0 11-03-2009 10:23 PM
Well well! Judith in France United Kingdom 0 11-03-2009 05:40 PM
Get Your Space on Pishnut Space For Free and Send Free Ecards Ariella Lyn Gardening 0 07-09-2007 09:18 PM