Old 19-01-2004, 03:19 PM
R M. Watkin

Default 2 stroke engines

Hi All,
4 star petrol is being taken off the market in the U.K. there is a subsitute
to add to the fuel to cover this problem. do you have this problem in the
U.S.A. if so have you solved it ?. I have all so heard that due the emisions
problem the U.S.A. is about to phase out 2 stroke engines. is this true ?.
and if it is so were does this leave people with 2 stroke engines in good
working order. Mantis tillers e.t.c, thank tou for your help, and I hope
this is not off topic.

Richard M. Watkin.

Old 19-01-2004, 04:20 PM
Steve

Richard,
I think they are phasing out the 2 stroke engines over here. I KNOW they
are for boat motors.
We use the same fuel for either type engine except that 2 stroke engines
require that oil be added in with the fuel. The only time I have seen it
pre mixed is at certain marinas where you can buy it pre mixed for your
boat.
I've never heard of 4 star petrol but I can only assume it is petrol
with the oil mixed in. If it's something else, I'd be interested to know
what it is. Not all 2 stroke engines require the same ratio of oil to
fuel. Pre mixed fuel would need to have enough for any engine and
therefore too much oil for some. That alone is a good reason to stop
selling it that way.

Steve

Old 19-01-2004, 05:36 PM
Steve Calvin

R M. Watkin wrote:

Hi All,
4 star petrol is being taken off the market in the U.K. there is a
subsitute
to add to the fuel to cover this problem. do you have this problem in the
U.S.A. if so have you solved it ?. I have all so heard that due the
emisions
problem the U.S.A. is about to phase out 2 stroke engines. is this
true ?.
and if it is so were does this leave people with 2 stroke engines in good
working order. Mantis tillers e.t.c, thank tou for your help, and I hope
this is not off topic.

Richard M. Watkin.

I agree with Steve. I have 3, 2 cycle motors. The mantis, chainsaw, and
weedwacker. They all take a different fuel to oil mixture. I buy 2
cycle oil from the store and mix my own at the appropriate mixtures for
each one and keep them in separate (and labeled) plastic gas containers.

--
Steve

Old 19-01-2004, 08:24 PM
R M. Watkin

Hi All.
4 star petrol is petrol which contained lead, which has been taken off the
market in favour of unleaded petrol. now from what I can find out, if you
run a normal 4 stroke engine on unleaded petrol it will burn the valve
guides out, unless the engine has been built to run on unleaded petrol. am I
right in assuming a 2 stroke engine has no valves ?.

now to the second point if they are phasing out 2 stroke engines for boats,
how long will it be before they phase them out for other things like tillers
e.t.c. and how long will it be before 2 stroke engines will become redundant
through lack of fuel and 2 stroke oil e.t.c. I am lead to believe this is
all because of the emisions problem and global warming e.t.c. hope this
makes more sense to you now.

Richard M. Watkin.

t...

R M. Watkin wrote:

Hi All,
4 star petrol is being taken off the market in the U.K. there is a

subsitute
to add to the fuel to cover this problem. do you have this problem in

the
U.S.A. if so have you solved it ?. I have all so heard that due the

emisions
problem the U.S.A. is about to phase out 2 stroke engines. is this true

?.

Old 20-01-2004, 02:08 AM
Steve

R M. Watkin wrote:

Hi All.
4 star petrol is petrol which contained lead, which has been taken off the
market in favour of unleaded petrol. now from what I can find out, if you
run a normal 4 stroke engine on unleaded petrol it will burn the valve
guides out, unless the engine has been built to run on unleaded petrol. am I
right in assuming a 2 stroke engine has no valves ?.

now to the second point if they are phasing out 2 stroke engines for boats,
how long will it be before they phase them out for other things like tillers
e.t.c. and how long will it be before 2 stroke engines will become redundant
through lack of fuel and 2 stroke oil e.t.c. I am lead to believe this is
all because of the emisions problem and global warming e.t.c. hope this
makes more sense to you now.

Richard M. Watkin.

OK, that explains what 4 star means. Over here we got rid of lead in
our fuel years ago. At least 10 years, maybe 15. (gosh, maybe 20?)
There was quite a bit of concern when they phased it out. I was told by
one engine repair guy to just use one grade higher and there would be no
problem. I don't know what system they might use where you are but here
regular is 87 octane and the next grade up is usually 89. Actually, I
have some doubt that the guy knew what he was talking about. Some of my
lawn and garden equipment is old enough to be from the leaded fuel days.
I don't even bother with the higher octane now. I never had an engine
get into trouble with the new fuel and I don't know anyone who did.

As far as 2 stroke engines having valves... well they must. Isn't it the
valves that let in the fuel/air mixture and let the exhaust back out?

Steve (the first one) :-)

Old 20-01-2004, 04:33 AM
Bob Provencher

"Steve" wrote in message
t...

As far as 2 stroke engines having valves... well they must. Isn't it the
valves that let in the fuel/air mixture and let the exhaust back out?

Yeah I've heard that one as well. They do have valves, they're just not the
same kind you have in a 4 stroke. They have reed valves which are one way
valves that open on the upstroke as pressure inside the cylinder is reduced.

Old 20-01-2004, 08:03 PM
R M. Watkin

Hi All,

thank you all for your response to my question. it seems to me any one about
to buy a 2 stroke engine, should think very carefully as they may left with
a usless piece of equipment. there are still 2 stroke engines for sale in
U.K. even though government must know they are to be phased out. any one
reading this in the U.K. be warned this govenment will leave you in the
lurch, as they did when you had to scrap your car with the unleaded affair

Richard M.Watkin.

"Steve" wrote in message
t...

Old 20-01-2004, 09:07 PM
FarmerDill

I don't even bother with the higher octane now. I never had an engine
get into trouble with the new fuel and I don't know anyone who did.

Some of the high performance engines of the era, the big Ford V8 was one, had
poppet valves that rotated slighly with each movement. Touted as a self
grinding effect. I knew of several of those that went down with Sunoco
Sunlight. Never had any effect on heavy engines like old tractors and Briggs
type engines.