Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 31-01-2004, 04:18 PM
Darwin Vander Stelt

Default Two questions for the group

and thank you in advance for your help!

I have a dozen fruit trees in an area where we tend to have late frosts.
There is commercial fruit production with in 10 miles of here, but not
right here. We are at 2700 ft elevation (Nampa ID). Pollination seems to be
the main problem here, in that we can have some cold, windy weather when
the trees are in bloom. This year I bought some Mason bees (aka blue
orchard bees) in hopes of doing a little better. Has anyone had any
experience with them, and is there some "must-do" practice involved with
using them?

The other question(s) involves grapes and sugar content. Last year I let too
much fruit hang and the grapes didn't taste as sweet, and didn't have the
varietal flavor. I also didn't fertilize because I always get a terrific
amount of vegetative growth with shoots sometimes running 20 ft in a single
season, and I thought I'd slow em down a little.The questions are, are sugar
content and flavor necessarily inversly proportional to yield? and as an
aside, would using more P and K fertilizer and just holding the N have
improved the sugar while restraining the vegetative growth? Any suggestions
for a general fertilizer mixture for grapes and fruit? Would 10-20-20 be
better than 16-16-16? I know I know, that was a lot more than 2 questions!
Thank You!