GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Butterflies??? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/51426-butterflies.html)

Jon 01-02-2004 03:37 AM

Butterflies???

Hey everyone,

I'm getting a little ahead of myself by asking this question since I
dont have a garden yet :) but I would like to know a little about
using butterflies for pollination.

I know that you need milkweed to sustain a butterfly population since
they lay their eggs on it. It would also help to keep them around. In
an open garden.

In a greenhouse enviroment how big would it approximatly have to be
before one could use butterflies to do the pollinating instead of
doing it by hand (besides having butterflies around is nice)?

Will they pollinate all veggies?

Problems with using butterflies to pollinate, predators etc.?