Old 11-02-2004, 04:32 AM
Bob Provencher

Default Wall o Waters

How early has anyone put tomatoes out in Wall o Waters? What lowest
nighttime temp or date in zone 6? Their open at top so I am wondering how
they keep the plants warm all night if it is really cold.

I've used them but only a month before last frost. I am thinking of pushing
the season a little more this year and going for 6-8 weeks before avg last
frost. (I'll keep backup plants just in case )

--
Bob Provencher ICQ 881862
Aesir Software Programming Consultant/Contractor

Old 11-02-2004, 05:14 PM
Mary McHugh

Bob Provencher wrote:

How early has anyone put tomatoes out in Wall o Waters? What lowest
nighttime temp or date in zone 6? Their open at top so I am wondering how
they keep the plants warm all night if it is really cold.

The trick with the WOW's is that you only half fill them at first. This shapes
the WOW into a cone so the top is closed, albeit not tightly. As the seedling
gets taller and the temps are more consistently warm, you fill the tubes all the
way up which changes them to the more familliar cylinder shape.

Any time I've used them (in zone 6 too), the temps were favorable anyway. It's
the old umbrella effect in action (if you've got one, you won't need it).

I think I've planted as early as April 1. I always plan to keep a journal but
never do. :-(

I always keep backup plants.

Mary

Old 12-02-2004, 04:28 PM
K Davies

I live in Kansas and I put my WOW up about the middle of march. Fill them
about 3/4 full and the tops tilt in toward the center to keep the frost
out.
I put my WOW out about 7 to 10 days before I plant so as to warm up the
ground around the area. When I get ready to plant, I pick up the WOW, move
it, plant the tomato. I take a platic 5 gallon bucket(turned upside down)
and place over the tomato. I then place the wall of
water over the bucket and slowly remove bucket. Works
pretty good for me. We have tomatoes by the 3rd week in May.

Old 13-02-2004, 02:05 AM
Bob Provencher

"K Davies" wrote in message
We have tomatoes by the 3rd week in May.

Yeah that's what I'm hoping for. We love tomatos, and it would be nice to
get them at the same time all our salad fixins are growing .