GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Looking for Jerusalem Artichokes (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/53178-looking-jerusalem-artichokes.html)

tworiverspark 21-02-2004 05:32 AM

Looking for Jerusalem Artichokes

I would love to buy some Jerusalem Artichokes from someone if you have them.
I can't find a local supplier and I don't want to pay $4/lb plus shipping
from a gardening catalog. Any help or leads would be appreciated.
Ron

Frogleg 21-02-2004 01:02 PM

Looking for Jerusalem Artichokes

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 21:28:14 -0800, "tworiverspark"
wrote:

I would love to buy some Jerusalem Artichokes from someone if you have them.
I can't find a local supplier and I don't want to pay $4/lb plus shipping
from a gardening catalog. Any help or leads would be appreciated.

If you would post your location, perhaps someone near you would be
willing to oblige. Most who have *any* Jerusalem artichokes, have many
to spare.

tworiverspark 21-02-2004 05:02 PM

Looking for Jerusalem Artichokes

I am located in Tri-Cities Washington, I've talked to several people who had
them years back but don't anymore. My dad was telling me he had to use round
up on the one we had when I was a kid to get rid of them. so I know there
should be plenty around somewhere!

simy1 21-02-2004 06:40 PM

Looking for Jerusalem Artichokes

"tworiverspark" wrote in message ...
I would love to buy some Jerusalem Artichokes from someone if you have them.
I can't find a local supplier and I don't want to pay $4/lb plus shipping
from a gardening catalog. Any help or leads would be appreciated.
Ron

produce section, health food store. Buy them, plant them.

Ross Reid 22-02-2004 02:02 PM

(simy1) wrote:

"tworiverspark" wrote in message ...
I would love to buy some Jerusalem Artichokes from someone if you have them.
I can't find a local supplier and I don't want to pay $4/lb plus shipping
from a gardening catalog. Any help or leads would be appreciated.
Ron

produce section, health food store. Buy them, plant them.

Curse them every year thereafter ;-(.

Ross

Katra 22-02-2004 08:42 PM

Looking for Jerusalem Artichokes

In article m,
Ross Reid wrote:

(simy1) wrote:

"tworiverspark" wrote in message
I would love to buy some Jerusalem Artichokes from someone if you have
them.
I can't find a local supplier and I don't want to pay $4/lb plus shipping
from a gardening catalog. Any help or leads would be appreciated.
Ron

produce section, health food store. Buy them, plant them.

Curse them every year thereafter ;-(.

Ross

Why? :-)

I know that they have a tendency to take over any area which is why I
planted them somewhere where I did not care if that happened. Yummy
tubers, but for some reason, after three years, my patch died. :-( I'd
not mine re-starting them if anyone in Texas wants to mail me some?

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

,,Cat's Haven Hobby Farm,,Katra at centurytel dot net,,

Maren Purves 23-02-2004 11:20 PM

Ross Reid wrote:
(simy1) wrote:

"tworiverspark" wrote in message ...

I would love to buy some Jerusalem Artichokes from someone if you have them.
I can't find a local supplier and I don't want to pay $4/lb plus shipping
from a gardening catalog. Any help or leads would be appreciated.
Ron

produce section, health food store. Buy them, plant them.

Curse them every year thereafter ;-(.

not if you plant them where they can't spread like in a large planter or
concrete tub, or, what I would do, in and area surrounded by bedrock.

I'd love some. Does anybody in/near Hilo, HI have any to spare?
(happy to pay).

Maren

The Watcher 24-02-2004 06:25 PM

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 13:38:17 GMT, Ross Reid wrote:

(simy1) wrote:

"tworiverspark" wrote in message ...
I would love to buy some Jerusalem Artichokes from someone if you have them.
I can't find a local supplier and I don't want to pay $4/lb plus shipping
from a gardening catalog. Any help or leads would be appreciated.
Ron

produce section, health food store. Buy them, plant them.

Curse them every year thereafter ;-(.

I don't, but then I also have 5 different patches of bamboo growing on my place.
I have spread the Jerusalem Artichoke around, too. I have it growing in 4
different spots(so far).

Loki 29-02-2004 09:12 AM

il Sat, 21 Feb 2004 08:57:47 -0800, "tworiverspark" ha scritto:

I am located in Tri-Cities Washington, I've talked to several people who had
them years back but don't anymore. My dad was telling me he had to use round
up on the one we had when I was a kid to get rid of them. so I know there
should be plenty around somewhere!

I suppose New Zealand is too far away :-). I use mine as a wind break
and have they been getting a battering this summer! Get one tuber and
soon you'll have a fence line's worth. :-)
--
Cheers,