Old 01-03-2004, 01:02 AM
tacobilly

Default new at growing

I live in the nw and need help on when is the best time to plant and what
dose grow good in the area. I started some tomatoes and found that i started
them way to soon.

Old 02-03-2004, 11:56 AM
Janice

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 16:51:19 -0800, "tacobilly"
wrote:

I live in the nw and need help on when is the best time to plant and what
dose grow good in the area. I started some tomatoes and found that i started
them way to soon.

That all depends on what you call NW, Washington & Oregon states on
the West side of the mountains are way different than the eastern
side. Northern Washington is much different than Southern I'd
imagine. The best place to ask questions are your local County
Extension Agency should have a Master Gardeners program, and local
garden centers (not the garden department at the local walmart or
something unless they accidentally hired someone who has local
gardening experience) are places to ask around, but always ask several
places, not just one or two, get a consensus of opinions ;-)

When to start plants depends on where you live, what kind of growing
conditions you have in your yard. Although it's going to change as
the season progresses as to how MUCH time each area in your yard gets
sun, but start paying attention to what areas get more light than
others,

Read plant labels browse greenhouses, talk to the people there, take a
walk around your neighborhood and if you see yards where there is
gardening going on, stop by and introduce yourself, ask if they're the
gardener of the house, and explain you're new and you admire something
they're doing and ask questions and let them tell you. Most gardeners
love talking about their gardens. You might find some who are crabby,
but don't let that stop you if it's the first one. Most are happy to
talk about their gardens. You'll learn, and most likely you'll make
some new friends, and get some free plants ;-) Most of us end up with
too many plants when it's time to divide plants and so give or trade
plants!

Janice