Old 09-03-2004, 10:06 PM
Sherwin Dubren

Default Interesting workshop in the Chicago area

This message primarily for gardeners in the Chicago area, but anyone is
welcome to attend, if they are willing to travel the distance.

Midwest Fruit Explorers is doing their annual grafting workshop on March
21, 2004 at Cantigny Greenhouse (near Wheaton,IL), and repeated on March
28, 2004 at the Chicago Botanic Garden (in Glencoe, IL). Admission is
free and the only charges are for grafting supplies and/or parking at
the Glencoe location ($8.75 for non-members of the Garden). We will
give a
short required lecture on techniques starting at 1 p.m., and then go on
to a hands-on class in grafting, assisted by members of Midfex. You can
pick from a variety of scion wood and rootstocks. We supply rootstocks
M27,
Bud 9, and M26 for apples, OHXF513 for pears, and Pumi Select for plums.
There is a large selection of scion wood to pick from, as well. Bring a
sharp knife(grafting type preferred). Because of space limitations, we
ask that only participants attend these sessions, but if you bring the
family, there are many interesting things at the Botanic Garden, but
Cantigny
might not be as good, this time of the year. Email me for any questions
and to
register(just a formality to keep track of people attending).

Sherwin Dubren