Old 06-04-2004, 09:14 PM
Katherine

Default Small 20' deep by 8' wide patio - suggestions?

I have a small backyard (30' x 8') in my condo. I am in zone 6b
(Vancouver, BC) and get an average 8 hours of sun/day.

The first 10' is covered in patio paver stones, for the bbq and dining
area. For the other 20', I'm planning on either purchasing floor
decking (see http://www.ikea.ca/webapp/wcs/stores...&cattype= sub)
or make the decking myself if its quite a bit cheaper. I'll leave a
few spots open in between the decking squares for planting the odd
thing, and using containers for other things.

Because my area is so tiny I've decided to grow cucumbers using a
trellis, I did this last year and it worked great. My tomatoes I'll
try in tubs this year, possibly with wheels so I can move them around
if they need a more sunnier spot. What other things can I try in such
a small space? Peas perhaps? What about squash?

I'd love to hear from urbanites that have small city gardens such as
myself and photos of what they have done would really be wonderful!

Shaynelle