GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Duck manure tea? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/58667-duck-manure-tea.html)

Mark 11-04-2004 07:32 PM

Duck manure tea?

Okay, the ducks have their nice penned-in area until I get around to
fencing in the garden proper. They have the lawn, their feed bowl,
and a 4' plastic kiddie pool to splash around in...which they do with
gusto.

Here's the question: As we all know, ducks poop a lot. No big deal,
but they also poop in their pool. Again, no big deal: excess
rainwater, after filling the 55 gallon barrels I use for watering the
garden, flows over and replenishes the pool. BUT...can I use the
poopy pool water on my garden like manure tea?

Mark

shazzbat 11-04-2004 10:32 PM

Duck manure tea?

"Mark" wrote in message
om...
Okay, the ducks have their nice penned-in area until I get around to
fencing in the garden proper. They have the lawn, their feed bowl,
and a 4' plastic kiddie pool to splash around in...which they do with
gusto.

Here's the question: As we all know, ducks poop a lot. No big deal,
but they also poop in their pool. Again, no big deal: excess
rainwater, after filling the 55 gallon barrels I use for watering the
garden, flows over and replenishes the pool. BUT...can I use the
poopy pool water on my garden like manure tea?

Yes. Just don't drink it like tea. At least not without milk and sugar :-))

Steve

Frogleg 12-04-2004 07:06 PM

Duck manure tea?

On 11 Apr 2004 11:05:44 -0700, (Mark) wrote:

Here's the question: As we all know, ducks poop a lot. No big deal,
but they also poop in their pool. Again, no big deal: excess
rainwater, after filling the 55 gallon barrels I use for watering the
garden, flows over and replenishes the pool. BUT...can I use the
poopy pool water on my garden like manure tea?

Why would you think you couldn't?

Ray Drouillard 13-04-2004 02:34 AM

Duck manure tea?

"Frogleg" wrote in message
On 11 Apr 2004 11:05:44 -0700, (Mark) wrote:

Here's the question: As we all know, ducks poop a lot. No big deal,
but they also poop in their pool. Again, no big deal: excess
rainwater, after filling the 55 gallon barrels I use for watering the
garden, flows over and replenishes the pool. BUT...can I use the
poopy pool water on my garden like manure tea?

Why would you think you couldn't?

I would be worried about it being too strong and burning the plants.

In any case, I'm not going to spray it on my lettuce. ;-)

Ray

Janice 13-04-2004 04:32 AM

Duck manure tea?

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 20:51:47 -0400, "Ray Drouillard"
wrote:

"Frogleg" wrote in message
.. .
On 11 Apr 2004 11:05:44 -0700, (Mark) wrote:

Here's the question: As we all know, ducks poop a lot. No big deal,
but they also poop in their pool. Again, no big deal: excess
rainwater, after filling the 55 gallon barrels I use for watering the
garden, flows over and replenishes the pool. BUT...can I use the
poopy pool water on my garden like manure tea?

Why would you think you couldn't?

I would be worried about it being too strong and burning the plants.

In any case, I'm not going to spray it on my lettuce. ;-)
Ray

Bird manure is usually pretty "hot" if you have a compost bin, use it
to moisten it should it need it. Otherwise, dump it in a sandy area
to drain down, but remember to go out with a shovel in the pen and dig
it up from time to time because their poop... and any clay in the
soil.. it drawn to the surface and even if it's a sandy mix, it will
seal the top layer and it will sour .. so I used to just go out and
dig a bit when I saw it getting packed .. when water didn't drain
well. Ducks will eat any worms upturned in the process.

Janice

Frogleg 13-04-2004 02:07 PM

Duck manure tea?

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 20:51:47 -0400, "Ray Drouillard"
wrote:

"Frogleg" wrote in message
.. .
On 11 Apr 2004 11:05:44 -0700, (Mark) wrote:

Here's the question: As we all know, ducks poop a lot. No big deal,
but they also poop in their pool. Again, no big deal: excess
rainwater, after filling the 55 gallon barrels I use for watering the
garden, flows over and replenishes the pool. BUT...can I use the
poopy pool water on my garden like manure tea?

Why would you think you couldn't?

I would be worried about it being too strong and burning the plants.

Mark is talking about a pondful (kiddy pool, I believe he mentioned
earlier) of water with some duck poo in it, not shoveling the manure
directly onto his plants. Duck poo in 10-20 gallons of water isn't
going to "burn" any plants.

Mark 13-04-2004 06:05 PM

Duck manure tea?

Frogleg wrote in message . ..
On 11 Apr 2004 11:05:44 -0700, (Mark) wrote:

Here's the question: As we all know, ducks poop a lot. No big deal,
but they also poop in their pool. Again, no big deal: excess
rainwater, after filling the 55 gallon barrels I use for watering the
garden, flows over and replenishes the pool. BUT...can I use the
poopy pool water on my garden like manure tea?

Why would you think you couldn't?

Worried it might be too hot.

Glenna Rose 13-04-2004 06:05 PM

Duck manure tea?

writes:

Mark is talking about a pondful (kiddy pool, I believe he mentioned
earlier) of water with some duck poo in it, not shoveling the manure
directly onto his plants. Duck poo in 10-20 gallons of water isn't
going to "burn" any plants.

Would this also be true of chicken manure? I've been thinking about
manure tea with it since I might not be able to get my usual amount of
horse manure this year since time is running out for rototilling it in.

I'd put two or three gallons of manure in a 50-gallon drum. What think you?

Glenna

Frogleg 15-04-2004 11:33 AM

Duck manure tea?

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 09:58:11 -0700, (Glenna Rose)
wrote:

writes:

Mark is talking about a pondful (kiddy pool, I believe he mentioned
earlier) of water with some duck poo in it, not shoveling the manure
directly onto his plants. Duck poo in 10-20 gallons of water isn't
going to "burn" any plants.

Would this also be true of chicken manure? I've been thinking about
manure tea with it since I might not be able to get my usual amount of
horse manure this year since time is running out for rototilling it in.

I'd put two or three gallons of manure in a 50-gallon drum. What think you?

Not having any chickens or ducks, I'm spreaking only of what I've
read. The caveats about poultry manure seem to be against heaping
piles of fresh droppings directly into the garden -- the high nitrogen
content may 'burn' plants. It is usually recommended to allow fresh
manure to compost before using.

However, these cautions are about piles of manure maybe mixed with a
little bedding/straw, not a tiny amount diluted with water. The
manure, in and of itself, isn't harmful -- high concentrations of
fresh manure may be.

Here's a reference that tells more than anyone needs to know about
various manures:

http://tinyurl.com/2a3o2