Old 27-04-2004, 11:05 PM
Bill Bolle

Default what the heck are "dry onions"?

Dawn wrote:
I'm trying my luck with onions this year. I bought a bag of "red" onion
bulbs. The planting instructions give me three choices: red onions ,
green table onions, and dry onions. I think I understand the first two
choices, but I don't know what the third choice gets me. The directions
say to 'harvest when fully matured and air dry.' I'm having trouble
imagining an air dried onion.

Dawn

A "dry" onion is the type of onion that you buy in the grocery

store-----It is matured and allowed to develop a dry skin that
protects it during storage.
Bill

Old 28-04-2004, 02:06 AM
Dawn

Bill Bolle wrote:
A "dry" onion is the type of onion that you buy in the grocery

store-----It is matured and allowed to develop a dry skin that protects
it during storage.
Bill

Thanks Bill. I think the directions had me confused. That's what I
thought I was planting until I read the package. I don't know why they
differentiate between planting the 'red' onions and planting 'dry' onions.

Dawn

Old 28-04-2004, 05:03 PM
Guy Bradley

"Dawn" wrote in message
I'm trying my luck with onions this year. I bought a bag of "red"

onion
bulbs. The planting instructions give me three choices: red onions ,
green table onions, and dry onions. I think I understand the first

two
choices, but I don't know what the third choice gets me. The

directions
say to 'harvest when fully matured and air dry.' I'm having trouble
imagining an air dried onion.

The directions are harvest when fully mature and (after harvest) air
dry. I.e., you air dry your harvested onions.

I suggest that you wait until the tops fall over. This is a sign that
the onions are mature. When the onions are ready, they pull nutrients
from the tops into the bulbs and the tops fall over. Then, you pull
them out and lay them in a sheltered spot to dry. We string ours
together by the tops and hang from from the rafters in the garage for
a few weeks to a month. Then you can bring them inside.

An alternative to hanging them is to spread them out on a surface,
preferably with air holes. A fine screen suspended in air is ideal.
Onion boxes have slats spaced closely enough together to keep the
onions from falling out but wide enough to admit air.

Guy Bradley
Chesterfield MO
zone 6

Why dry onions and garlic? Broadback United Kingdom 2 22-06-2007 10:50 PM
what the heck are "dry onions"? Dawn Edible Gardening 4 08-05-2004 09:03 AM
dry dry dry Rosie United Kingdom 0 02-04-2004 04:21 AM
Spring Onions - Onions? Charles Thorpe United Kingdom 1 19-09-2003 06:51 AM
Spring Onions - Onions? Charles Thorpe United Kingdom 0 18-09-2003 11:48 PM