GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Rabbits (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/63948-rabbits.html)

Cecelia Medbery 10-06-2004 03:08 PM

Rabbits

Has anybody else noticed they are really thick this year? The ones in my
yard are very brave as they will lay right where they are until I get right
up on them. They have eaten just about every leaf off my sunflowers (about
2' high). Can anybody tell me, will these sunflowers continue to grow or do
they die off after they've been chewed on by the rabbits?

Thanks,

Cecelia

Pat Kiewicz 11-06-2004 01:03 PM

Rabbits

Cecelia Medbery said:

Has anybody else noticed they are really thick this year?

Not so bad here; prolonged snow cover and a very, very wet May (when
the first little bunnies should be coming).

The ones in my
yard are very brave as they will lay right where they are until I get right
up on them. They have eaten just about every leaf off my sunflowers (about
2' high). Can anybody tell me, will these sunflowers continue to grow or do
they die off after they've been chewed on by the rabbits?

If they've grown beyond the rabbits reach, and the rabbits aren't desperate
or clever enough to chew through the stems to knock them over, they might
continue growing. But they won't be as robust as ones that had never been
stripped.

You will sometimes see circles of chicken wire in my yard to ward off rabbits
that have taken a liking to some of my plants. (The veggie garden is fenced.)
For non-edibles, Ro-Pel spray will also work, but needs to be repeated after a
good rain.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Larry Blanchard 11-06-2004 08:03 PM

Rabbits

In article ,
says...
You will sometimes see circles of chicken wire in my yard to ward off rabbits
that have taken a liking to some of my plants. (The veggie garden is fenced.)
For non-edibles, Ro-Pel spray will also work, but needs to be repeated after a
good rain.

Homemade pepper spray works pretty well too, but in years of
heavy infestation, I resort to a pellet gun. At first, I just
pump it enough to sting and hope to scare them off. If they're
too stupid to catch on, I occasionally shoot to kill.

The other day, we had 5 full grown ones cavorting in our (small)
front yard. First time in several years we've had that many.

--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

Al Reid 11-06-2004 08:03 PM

Rabbits

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message ...
In article ,
says...
You will sometimes see circles of chicken wire in my yard to ward off rabbits
that have taken a liking to some of my plants. (The veggie garden is fenced.)
For non-edibles, Ro-Pel spray will also work, but needs to be repeated after a
good rain.

Homemade pepper spray works pretty well too, but in years of
heavy infestation, I resort to a pellet gun. At first, I just
pump it enough to sting and hope to scare them off. If they're
too stupid to catch on, I occasionally shoot to kill.

The other day, we had 5 full grown ones cavorting in our (small)
front yard. First time in several years we've had that many.

--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

Larry,

Do you think that would work for groundhogs? I'm overrun with them. They seem to be either too stupid or territorial to take any
of the hints I've given them. Not supposed to discharge a firearm in my community.

They were such a problem that I had to drive wooden stakes (a good use for those wood scraps I haven't turned into sawdust) every
couple of inches around the perimeter of my garden to keep them from going under the fence.

Perhaps someone on alt.food.barbecue has a good recipe.

--
Al Reid

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know
for sure that just ain't so." --- Mark Twain

Larry Blanchard 12-06-2004 12:03 AM

Rabbits

In article ,
says...
Do you think that would work for groundhogs? I'm overrun with them. They seem to be either too stupid or territorial to take any
of the hints I've given them. Not supposed to discharge a firearm in my community.

Usually that includes pellet/BB guns but if you don't have a
softhearted neighbor, they're usually quiet enough not to
attract attention. I try not to wave the rifle around for all
to see :-).

My veggie garden is a small one in raised beds and I've put 24"
fencing around each bed and spread bird netting over the top
when things are small. So I have no problem there. But the
little rascals are eating our flower beds to the ground. And
they seem to prefer blooms. The other day they ate about 100
flowers in a bed of sea thrift.

Perhaps someone on alt.food.barbecue has a good recipe.

I don't remember eating one, but when I grew up in the South
they were considered tasty. IIRC, there are a couple of scent
glands you have to remove before cooking (without puncturing
them).

Good luck!

--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

flick 12-06-2004 06:02 AM

Rabbits

"Al Reid" wrote in message

[...]

Perhaps someone on alt.food.barbecue has a good recipe.

Country-style: http://www.hevanet.com/refugee/recipe/gndhog.htm

This site has a lot of game recipes, and they want you to join
for about $9 a year. But there are a bunch you can access
without joining, including one for groundhog:
http://ushotstuff.com/Game.Recipes.htm

Best site of all, from NC State University, with info on dressing
the critters:
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/martin/newsl...ipes/list.html

Bon appetite!

flick 100785
--
Iraq - the good news:
http://coolblue.typepad.com/the_cool...ews/index.html

--
Al Reid

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's

what you know
for sure that just ain't so." --- Mark Twain

---