Old 10-06-2004, 03:08 PM
Cecelia Medbery

Default Rabbits

Has anybody else noticed they are really thick this year? The ones in my
yard are very brave as they will lay right where they are until I get right
up on them. They have eaten just about every leaf off my sunflowers (about
2' high). Can anybody tell me, will these sunflowers continue to grow or do
they die off after they've been chewed on by the rabbits?

Thanks,

Cecelia

Old 11-06-2004, 01:03 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Cecelia Medbery said:

Has anybody else noticed they are really thick this year?

Not so bad here; prolonged snow cover and a very, very wet May (when
the first little bunnies should be coming).

The ones in my
yard are very brave as they will lay right where they are until I get right
up on them. They have eaten just about every leaf off my sunflowers (about
2' high). Can anybody tell me, will these sunflowers continue to grow or do
they die off after they've been chewed on by the rabbits?

If they've grown beyond the rabbits reach, and the rabbits aren't desperate
or clever enough to chew through the stems to knock them over, they might
continue growing. But they won't be as robust as ones that had never been
stripped.

You will sometimes see circles of chicken wire in my yard to ward off rabbits
that have taken a liking to some of my plants. (The veggie garden is fenced.)
For non-edibles, Ro-Pel spray will also work, but needs to be repeated after a
good rain.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 12-06-2004, 06:02 AM
flick

"Al Reid" wrote in message

[...]

Perhaps someone on alt.food.barbecue has a good recipe.

Country-style: http://www.hevanet.com/refugee/recipe/gndhog.htm

This site has a lot of game recipes, and they want you to join
for about $9 a year. But there are a bunch you can access
without joining, including one for groundhog:
http://ushotstuff.com/Game.Recipes.htm

Best site of all, from NC State University, with info on dressing
the critters:
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/martin/newsl...ipes/list.html

Bon appetite!

flick 100785
--
Iraq - the good news:
http://coolblue.typepad.com/the_cool...ews/index.html

--
Al Reid

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's

what you know
for sure that just ain't so." --- Mark Twain

---

Rabbits, rabbits everywhere wind'n'stone United Kingdom 4 22-05-2008 08:15 PM
Rabbits Y United Kingdom 4 19-11-2003 06:03 PM
Rabbits and lawn fertilization Sigurd Kallhovde Lawns 0 12-10-2003 11:22 PM
rabbits and "burning bush" Jim Moran Lawns 5 19-03-2003 12:44 AM
Rabbits! John Hutchison United Kingdom 18 03-03-2003 03:24 AM