GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Freezing my Zucchini... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/78081-freezing-my-zucchini.html)

Brigitte J. 01-07-2004 01:02 PM

Freezing my Zucchini...

I have zucchini coming out my ears! I'd like to freeze it, but not sure how
to do this. Do I simply cut it up and freeze it? Or do I need to boil
first? I'll be storing in freezer bags in the freezer, if that makes any
difference.

All help/advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Brigitte

---pete--- 01-07-2004 03:04 PM

Freezing my Zucchini...

On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 11:28:58 GMT, "Brigitte J."
wrote:

I have zucchini coming out my ears! I'd like to freeze it, but not sure how
to do this.

-----
Brigitte,
I looked it up in my Freezing Guide (by Dow, makers of ziplock bags)
And it says to wash Squash/Zucchini, then blanch it for 3 minutes
or steam it for 4 minutes, thern put it in the freezer bags and freeze
it.

Just in case you don't know, blanching means to get the water
boiling and drop the things in, then wait 3 minutes and remove them.
You can even run them under cold water to stop the cooking process
but I'm not sure it's necessay for zucchini.

Now I'm wondering if the DOW company has this freezing
guide on their website.

10 minutes later....

Sorry, but this page below is the only thing they have
related to freezing. Too bad. The booklet was called...
"Freeze It! - Home Freezing Made Easy," but it's
no longer available.
http://www.ziploc.com/tip_freezer.asp

---pete---

belly 01-07-2004 04:02 PM

Freezing my Zucchini...

On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 12:44:32 GMT in
, (---pete---) graced
the world with this thought:

blanching means to get the water
boiling and drop the things in, then wait 3 minutes and remove them.

This is pretty simplified... if you drop five pounds of zukes just out
of the fridge, into two quarts of boiling water, I guarantee you they
won't be blanched. To use a formula like that, you need a large
quantity of water, and room temp zukes, and only put enough in the pot
that boiling is only interrupted minimally. Then they'll be
blanched.

Brigitte J. 01-07-2004 04:02 PM

Freezing my Zucchini...

"belly" wrote in message
nk.net...
On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 12:44:32 GMT in
, (---pete---) graced
the world with this thought:

blanching means to get the water
boiling and drop the things in, then wait 3 minutes and remove them.

This is pretty simplified... if you drop five pounds of zukes just out
of the fridge, into two quarts of boiling water, I guarantee you they
won't be blanched. To use a formula like that, you need a large
quantity of water, and room temp zukes, and only put enough in the pot
that boiling is only interrupted minimally. Then they'll be
blanched.

Should I salt the water?

jay 02-07-2004 07:02 AM

Freezing my Zucchini...

sounds like it's time to start crankin out the quick zucchini breads...
they make great gifts! : )

-j

STEVEN STEIN 02-07-2004 01:02 PM

Freezing my Zucchini...

I've not had luck with them yet this year. Have 3 large plants that start
producing but then wither and drop off. We have had a lot of rain and I have
them planted very close to some white eggplants. Any suggestions?
Regards... Steve

Glenna Rose 09-07-2004 05:03 PM

Freezing my Zucchini...

writes:
I have zucchini coming out my ears! I'd like to freeze it, but not sure
how
to do this. Do I simply cut it up and freeze it? Or do I need to boil
first? I'll be storing in freezer bags in the freezer, if that makes any
difference.

All help/advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Brigitte

Brigitte,

I read somewhere, maybe here, last year that dried zucchini is good
(sliced thinly). I'm not a zucchini fan but if zucchini chips are good,
I'll grow it. There is one, repeat one, plant at the end of my rhodie
bed. Though it's not in the ideal location, it should produce enough to
let me try it. My family would laugh themselves silly if I were to start
growing the stuff after all the years we tried to avoid being given the
stuff, usually over-grown and not too flavorful (some people don't realize
there is a size opimization to certain squash types).

If you have lots, it's worth a try. :-)

Glenna
with a bumper cucumber crop
this year!

Kirsty 29-07-2004 10:06 AM

Freezing my Zucchini...

I personally found zucchini by itself isn't a good freezing vegetable. It
comes out all soggy and tastless when thawed. In the past, when I have had
an abundance of zucchini's I have tried various methods of 'cooking' things
up with zucchini, to freeze.
I have tried
1. Zucchini 'broth' for soup basis (reasonable successful)
2. Various forms of zucchini slices/pies

The best result I have had so far was a tomato/zucchini pie.

similar to this site (though I used a dough base and then layered the
zucchini and tomato on top, then the egg/milk/cheese filler)

http://sidedish.allrecipes.com/az/ZcchiniTmtPi.asp

Any other ideas for freezing zucchini's ?

Kirsty 29-07-2004 10:14 AM

Zucchini problem

You don't need to wait to see a forming zucchini to determine which flower
is male/female. The flowers that stand erect (surprise surprise) are male.
The other's are female.

P.S Zucchini flowers are fantastic fried up in batter and stuffed with
anchovies and cheese. I prefer to cotton bud pollinate rather than rip the
flowers apart, but then its probably more fiddly if you don't want to eat
the flowers.
(Pumpkin flowers can be treated the same)

These flowers cost a fortune to buy in countries like Italy. They are
equivalent to caviar :) I prefer to eat them..
(Must be picked/cooked the same day without snap freezing)

"Anonny Moose" wrote in message
This is a yellow zucchini. It's growing vigorously with an abundance of
flowers and zucs, but many of the zucs start turning mushy when the

flowers
fade. Is there anything I can do to stop this?

Appreciate your advice.
Karen
Portland, OR

Tyler Hopper 29-07-2004 04:57 PM

Zucchini problem

"Kirsty" wrote in message news:4108c558$1@tyson...

P.S Zucchini flowers are fantastic fried up in batter and stuffed with
anchovies and cheese.

They're also pretty great in an omelet. In Mexico it's common to see baby zuchs
with the flower attached on an omelet bar.

Tyler

Dave and Miss 29-07-2004 09:53 PM

Freezing my Zucchini...

how about canning the zucchini...they are very good pickled the same way you
do pickles...or making a zucchini veggie relish? That is what I'm going to
try with my bumper crop this year. Melissa

Frogleg 01-08-2004 02:30 PM

Freezing my Zucchini...

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 19:06:39 +1000, "Kirsty"
wrote:

Any other ideas for freezing zucchini's ?

I make zucchini pancakes. Grate, salt, drain, and squeeze squash. Mix
with flour, baking powder, s&p and egg (proportions are in a zillion
recipes on the web), and cook in a skillet like pancake-pancakes,
although the mixtureshould be thick enough to be patted out rather
than poured. These freeze very well and are a handy veg side dish. I
serve with butter and grated Parmesan.

John Savage 29-09-2004 03:19 AM

(---pete---) writes:
I looked it up in my Freezing Guide (by Dow, makers of ziplock bags)
And it says to wash Squash/Zucchini, then blanch it for 3 minutes
or steam it for 4 minutes, thern put it in the freezer bags and freeze
it.

Just in case you don't know, blanching means to get the water
boiling and drop the things in, then wait 3 minutes and remove them.
You can even run them under cold water to stop the cooking process
but I'm not sure it's necessay for zucchini.

I think the zucchini grower should experiment with the length of
time she steeps the zukes in boiling water. I can say that 3 minutes
in boiling water would see my zucchinis cooked right through; this is
excessive for blanching. The time needed depends on the size of the
fruit. Zucchinis are at their tastiest when they are just about four
inches long, without their stem, and at this size I reckon around
one minute might be enough. Though if you leave them to grow to full
maturity then your longer blanching time will be needed.

I wonder would microwaving the fruit be an alternative to dunking
in water? Anyone tried it?