Old 01-07-2004, 01:02 PM
Brigitte J.

Default Freezing my Zucchini...

I have zucchini coming out my ears! I'd like to freeze it, but not sure how
to do this. Do I simply cut it up and freeze it? Or do I need to boil
first? I'll be storing in freezer bags in the freezer, if that makes any
difference.

All help/advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Brigitte

Old 01-07-2004, 03:04 PM
---pete---

On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 11:28:58 GMT, "Brigitte J."
wrote:

I have zucchini coming out my ears! I'd like to freeze it, but not sure how
to do this.

-----
Brigitte,
I looked it up in my Freezing Guide (by Dow, makers of ziplock bags)
And it says to wash Squash/Zucchini, then blanch it for 3 minutes
or steam it for 4 minutes, thern put it in the freezer bags and freeze
it.

Just in case you don't know, blanching means to get the water
boiling and drop the things in, then wait 3 minutes and remove them.
You can even run them under cold water to stop the cooking process
but I'm not sure it's necessay for zucchini.

Now I'm wondering if the DOW company has this freezing
guide on their website.

10 minutes later....

Sorry, but this page below is the only thing they have
related to freezing. Too bad. The booklet was called...
"Freeze It! - Home Freezing Made Easy," but it's
no longer available.
http://www.ziploc.com/tip_freezer.asp

---pete---

Old 02-07-2004, 07:02 AM
jay

sounds like it's time to start crankin out the quick zucchini breads...
they make great gifts! : )

-j

Old 02-07-2004, 01:02 PM
STEVEN STEIN

I've not had luck with them yet this year. Have 3 large plants that start
producing but then wither and drop off. We have had a lot of rain and I have
them planted very close to some white eggplants. Any suggestions?
Regards... Steve

Old 29-07-2004, 10:06 AM
Kirsty

I personally found zucchini by itself isn't a good freezing vegetable. It
comes out all soggy and tastless when thawed. In the past, when I have had
an abundance of zucchini's I have tried various methods of 'cooking' things
up with zucchini, to freeze.
I have tried
1. Zucchini 'broth' for soup basis (reasonable successful)
2. Various forms of zucchini slices/pies

The best result I have had so far was a tomato/zucchini pie.

similar to this site (though I used a dough base and then layered the
zucchini and tomato on top, then the egg/milk/cheese filler)

http://sidedish.allrecipes.com/az/ZcchiniTmtPi.asp

Any other ideas for freezing zucchini's ?

Old 29-07-2004, 10:14 AM
Kirsty

Default Zucchini problem

You don't need to wait to see a forming zucchini to determine which flower
is male/female. The flowers that stand erect (surprise surprise) are male.
The other's are female.

P.S Zucchini flowers are fantastic fried up in batter and stuffed with
anchovies and cheese. I prefer to cotton bud pollinate rather than rip the
flowers apart, but then its probably more fiddly if you don't want to eat
the flowers.
(Pumpkin flowers can be treated the same)

These flowers cost a fortune to buy in countries like Italy. They are
equivalent to caviar I prefer to eat them..
(Must be picked/cooked the same day without snap freezing)

"Anonny Moose" wrote in message
This is a yellow zucchini. It's growing vigorously with an abundance of
flowers and zucs, but many of the zucs start turning mushy when the

flowers
fade. Is there anything I can do to stop this?

Appreciate your advice.
Karen
Portland, OR

Old 29-07-2004, 04:57 PM
Tyler Hopper

"Kirsty" wrote in message news:4108c558$1@tyson...

P.S Zucchini flowers are fantastic fried up in batter and stuffed with
anchovies and cheese.

They're also pretty great in an omelet. In Mexico it's common to see baby zuchs
with the flower attached on an omelet bar.

Tyler

Old 29-07-2004, 09:53 PM
Dave and Miss

how about canning the zucchini...they are very good pickled the same way you
do pickles...or making a zucchini veggie relish? That is what I'm going to
try with my bumper crop this year. Melissa

Old 01-08-2004, 02:30 PM
Frogleg

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 19:06:39 +1000, "Kirsty"
wrote:

Any other ideas for freezing zucchini's ?

I make zucchini pancakes. Grate, salt, drain, and squeeze squash. Mix
with flour, baking powder, s&p and egg (proportions are in a zillion
recipes on the web), and cook in a skillet like pancake-pancakes,
although the mixtureshould be thick enough to be patted out rather
than poured. These freeze very well and are a handy veg side dish. I
serve with butter and grated Parmesan.