GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Zucchini problem (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/78085-zucchini-problem.html)

Anonny Moose 01-07-2004 03:04 PM

Zucchini problem

This is a yellow zucchini. It's growing vigorously with an abundance of
flowers and zucs, but many of the zucs start turning mushy when the flowers
fade. Is there anything I can do to stop this?

Appreciate your advice.
Karen
Portland, OR

Larry Blanchard 01-07-2004 06:02 PM

Zucchini problem

In article ,
says...
This is a yellow zucchini. It's growing vigorously with an abundance of
flowers and zucs, but many of the zucs start turning mushy when the flowers
fade. Is there anything I can do to stop this?

They're not getting pollinated. The blooms with the baby
zucchini are female, the ones without are male. Break off a
male bloom, expose the pistil, and rub it on the female stamens.
Yep, you're artificially inseminating a plant :-).

I seem to have better luck if the male bloom is from a different
plant than the female bloom.

And the blooms are short-lived so you should check every day.

--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

Anonny Moose 01-07-2004 09:03 PM

Zucchini problem

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
This is a yellow zucchini. It's growing vigorously with an abundance of
flowers and zucs, but many of the zucs start turning mushy when the

flowers
fade. Is there anything I can do to stop this?

They're not getting pollinated. The blooms with the baby
zucchini are female, the ones without are male. Break off a
male bloom, expose the pistil, and rub it on the female stamens.
Yep, you're artificially inseminating a plant :-).

I seem to have better luck if the male bloom is from a different
plant than the female bloom.

And the blooms are short-lived so you should check every day.

--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

Thanks! I never would have imagined doing that. I only have the one plant -
so maybe that is a problem? However, I have gotten a few good-sized zucs so
far. I'll give this a shot and see what happens.

Karen
I have the same question about the WMDs!

Dee Jay 02-07-2004 12:05 AM

Zucchini problem

Anonny Moose wrote:
Thanks! I never would have imagined doing that. I only have the one
plant - so maybe that is a problem? However, I have gotten a few
good-sized zucs so far. I'll give this a shot and see what happens.

Actually, growing a single zuc plant shouldn't be a problem, as long as
there are enough bees around to polinate.

Karen
I have the same question about the WMDs!

Some WMD's have been found...some destroyed...some shipped out...yet, we
still ask this question? Saddam had his day in a new Iraqi court and that
is a good thing...

Jim Thomas 03-07-2004 03:02 AM

Zucchini problem

Break off a
male bloom, expose the pistil, and rub it on the female stamens.
Yep, you're artificially inseminating a plant :-).

It's easier to use a small paintbrush (artist's, not housepainting).
Gather some pollen from a male pistil and brush it onto the female
stamen.

KK from NJ 03-07-2004 03:03 PM

Zucchini problem

It's easier to use a small paintbrush (artist's, not housepainting).
Gather some pollen from a male pistil and brush it onto the female
stamen.

I use a q-tip, works fine for me.